Fish Shed Build Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

REDKAHUNA

AC Members
Mar 4, 2009
MARYLAND
I do construction for a living I know all about those stars on your hands from hanging drywall. Nice project I have a fish shed 18x24 90 10 gallon tanks 21 20 longs 15 15 gallon and 6 5 galllon 141 tanks. My new shed next year maybe will be bigger. I would think about a concrete floor lots of humidity when you put up the tanks. My shed is self contained with a small 2nd flr sleeping loft storage and 175 gallons of water gravity fed back to the tanks. Sink frig freezer and cable TV for the ball games. I also run 2 dehumidifiers 24/7.

norfolkboy

AC Members
May 1, 2009
Norfolk. England
That's a great project, I envy ya. BUT!! I recommend you use a concrete base 6" - 8" thick, there's gonna be a lot of weight in there
and not sure 2x4's would be strong enough to hold that lot, lot's of pics
as work commences pleeze!!. Good Luck!!.

Pete :thm:

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Yeah, I would love to use a concrete base, and build it bigger (heck, two stories even) for that matter, buuuuut, I'm renting. I don't plan on living in a trailer (wife likes to say "mobile home", I embrace my white trash side) for my whole life. I'll want to take it with me when I move. I'm making due with what I have available right now.

The 2x4s should be strong enough with sheeting on both sides, and supported on the ground, especially since the tanks will be lined up along the walls. If I was putting large tanks in the middle of the room, I would be concerned. The rigid foam insulation I'll be using for interior sheeting is waterproof and mold proof, and the linoleum floor should be able to take a bit of moisture, other than that, I'm planning on covers over all the tanks to keep evap down.

Sounds like an awesome shed REDKAHUNA, that's a lot of 10 gallon tanks, what kind of fish do you have in there? Do you also happen to live in there, and just call your house a fish shed? Any more info that may help me?

And now to appease you sickos, I took a pic of my finger just now. The X is pretty vague now, but it was clear as day a second after I hit it. I should probably put some neosporin and a bandaid on that... And no, it won't slow me down, I've worked with worse than that. Once I sliced off 1/8" of that finger, nail included, with my knife, that smarted.

IMG_0088.JPG

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
No progress today, got home from work too late.

jenazen69

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
buffalo, NY
msn.com
And now to appease you sickos, I took a pic of my finger just now. The X is pretty vague now, but it was clear as day a second after I hit it. I should probably put some neosporin and a bandaid on that... And no, it won't slow me down, I've worked with worse than that. Once I sliced off 1/8" of that finger, nail included, with my knife, that smarted.
I know just what that feels like. I have cut off a 1/4 inch of the tip of thumb on a slicer while cleaning it. I was cutting myself almost daily for about 2 weeks until they got a new blade for the automatic slicer I run. We had used it and sharpened it so much the guard could not keep you from getting cut.

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
I've moved plenty of sheds... I usta work for Dry Creek Mini Barns in Bakersfield. We loaded barns up to 12x24 on trailers, sometimes we even stacked them on top of eachother... This shed will be at least a few inches off the ground in the front just to make it level, and a couple inches up in the back to keep it off the ground. When I do move, I plan on moving the tanks and fish first, probably keeping them inside the new house temporarily, then loading the shed onto a trailer, filling it with furniture n' stuff and moving all that, then move the tanks back in... It's gonna be a pain in the @55.

Thinking about tanks: I'm considering building a few custom tanks to get the most out of the area. I like the size 24x24x18high, which is 45 gallons, and I should be able to stack that 3 high to get 155gal in a 2'x2' space. From what I can tell, I should be able to make those out of 1/4" glass with top braces, and they should cost me about 50$ each at 3$/sf for glass. I'll have to check with my local glass company for their exact prices though. Has anybody here actually made their own tanks completely out of glass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store