fish sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I need help with my fish. look at the video, I thought it was a goner but it's still swimming as if nothing happened at all. I did a water change (these happened 2 days ago) right after. One thing I have noticed is that it will not eat, first I noticed that it would only eat flakes that floated and eventually eat less, now I do not see it eat at all.
Other fish do not pick on it. There is little to no aggressive behavior among them. it just swims around the tank like nothing is wrong and frankly I would not be worried at all if it wasn't that skinny.

I only fed them flakes for some months ago because it was the only thing it would eat, then I tried bloodworms to change diet and see if it would eat, it did the firsts times but now i do not see eat it at all (it could still eat while i'm not watching)

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
just realised i put this under wrong topic... sorry

Adorabelle

AC Members
Aug 29, 2022
Dude, that fish is suffering - it's not just the fact it's skinny (and it's emaciated, starving) the way she's stuck to the bottom, curling in on herself, not able to orient herself - all of those movements are unnatural and show a dying, suffering fish that's frankly beyond saving. The starving is bad enough on it's own, and you can see she's emaciated, so staving to death - but the movements are even more alarming. When she tries to move and curls up, or gets stuck upside down (I had to skip through sections of the video because it's distressing) she's also gasping - which suggests pain, or she's working incredibly hard to move, and can't. The only thing you can really do to help her now is to euthanise and end the suffering as quickly and peacefully as possible. It's better than writhing on the floor (gourami are surface dwelling fish, so apart from sleeping, not normal for them to be on the substrate) in pain, or starving slowly to death.

Clove oil is available in most pharmacies, and can be used to sedate the fish, then overdose them on the clove oil so the heart stops. If done correctly, it's a humane way to euthanise fish. Or, if you can bring yourself to do it, removing the fish and hitting the head hard with a heavy object to kill it instantly. It sounds horrible, but either method is preferable to letting her suffer slowly. Sorry mate, I wish I had better news. :(

Reactions: fishorama

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
the fish died later that day i made the post.

I honestly do not like seeing the video and i'm thinking about deleting but maybe I should leave it up in case anyone has the problem?

• Sad
Reactions: dudley

dodge

Registered Member
Dec 11, 2023
Hi guys my fish are also curling up and struggling to breath 2 fish now dead water parameters are fine ph fine however I've just added a submersival UV can this have killed them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store