Fish that will eat molly fry.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I inherited a black ghost knife in a 29-gallon. He'd been in there for a couple of years and stayed another year before I rehomed him with someone who had a bigger tank. He shared the tank with my guppies, and I never had a fry problem until he went to his new home. A black ghost knife won't be cheap, but you can probably get one for $25 - $30. I fed mine mainly flakes, but also frozen blood worms. Plus, he had lots of guppy fry for snacks. Hardly ever saw him, though, except when I fed in the mornings. Otherwise, he'd hide out in his log. But a black ghost knife is a beautiful fish to watch. Also, they will learn to eat from your hand. Finley was the best!
A black ghost knife will get anywhere from 16-20 inches, I wouldn't recommend this fish for a 30 gallon. OP made no mention of upgrading tanks so in the long run I think this fish would be a bad idea for him.

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
If you add a heater, how about Buenos Aires tetras? Very active, don't get bigger than 3 inches, easy care. And cheap. Full price is $2 something here, but I got mine during Petsmart's tetra sale for $1 each. Mine are still only 1 to 1 1/2 inches (I asked for the smallest ones), but since I added them to the guppy tank a week and a half ago, there are NO more fry. They get more aggressive as adults, but I've read they're okay with adult mollies. With a heater, other tetras or barbs would probably work, too, at least if the adult mollies are in a different tank. Danios or giant danios, too.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, Convicts will breed but they are also ok alone. Something like a Paradise fish would probably eat baby mollies and wouldn't need a heater. A good sized gourami would work if you can heat it. My tiny Sparkling gourami ate up a bunch of guppy fry.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Blue Gularis Killies

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Hmm, well, i could afford a heater, but new twist, its actually a 20gal tank, not a 30gal. I bet that takes out most of those fish, which sucks. As for convicts, how do you tell which is male/female? And will paradise fish breed in my tank? As for tetras, i could do that, if i go with the heater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store