Fish were dying, now cloudy water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
SparkDog said:
I also do my water changes from tap water but I add cycle and stress coat accordingly. Is that acceptable?
Stress Coat as dechlorinator, OK. Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement? Dump it. It doesn't work and you are adding unnecessary unknowns to your tank. Once somebody tested some old Cycle and its nitrAte reading was off the charts. Another reason why it seems strange you show no nitrates.

SparkDog

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
Well, it's going on 10 days since I pulled the plants/ferts and there hasn't been any improvement. If fact, it's gotten worse. The water has now turned green, and I can barely see to the back of the tank. The fish don't seem to mind, but I would like too be able to see them.

After doing a search in these forums for "cloudy green water", it seems I have heavy algae growth. The consensus seems to be darkness for up to 7 days. I guess that's my next step. This tank is in a four seasons room (surrounded by windows) The blind by the tank is always drawn durring the day, so I'm not sure if the sunlight is the problem. It's bright in the room, but the tank doesn't get direct sunlight.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

SparkDog

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
Hey everyone, the tank has been covered for 5 days now. It has almost totally cleared up. Most of the algae has disappeared. There is still a slight white cloudiness to the water, hoping this clears up in the next couple days. I haven’t lost anymore fish, and they seem happy. Still don't really know what happened, but I think I'll be staying away from fertilizer in the future.

Thanks for you input.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Glad to hear the fish are hanging in there :clap: !! You might start a thread about the algae and the tank location if you are interested. I always thought it was direct sunlight that could cause the algae to grow out of control, but I know other factors can cause it too, so it might not be a problem.

SparkDog

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
Well, as the dates of these posts indicate, I've been at this for quite a while. Bascilly, I've just been feeding the fish lightly and I haven't done a water change in about a week. I don't think it was helping the situation. The fish are happy but the water is STILL cloudy. It goes up and down. right now I can barely see if the fish at the back of the tank. I talked to someone at a local fish store here, and she said that activated carbon will clear the water too. I added more of that a few days ago but still no change. I've also added a bio-wheel filter in addition to the canister I have.

This is starting to get depressing to look at every day. Nothing I do seems to matter, it's always cloudy.

Is there anything more I can do at this point to clear it up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store