Fish with bloody nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ianne

I lieks feesh
May 22, 2009
Colorado
lol first ever i have seen this
So i havent moved anything only a small water change yesterday
I have a roughly 1inch+ pepper cory that i have had for a month and it has a blood nose! lol looks like it has lipstick on it
has this ever happened to anyone? Will it go away? should i treat it or is it possibly a disease?
Its blood red btw...like human blood

dafishman

AC Members
Aug 3, 2010
What kind of substrate have you got and does it have sharp edges? Does the cory still have his barbels, or are they worn off? Wondering if it could be an infection coupled with worn-off barbels due to sharp/coarse substrate. Of course, there's plenty more people with more experience here than I have.

Ianne

I lieks feesh
May 22, 2009
Colorado
i have pea pebble mostly and 20lbs of eco complete for about 2 weeks now (i added it 2 weeks ago not that its a new tank)
No sharp rocks. last week a julii cory was stuck in a corner so i had to sort of dig and swoosh him out.
Lol i can only guess he was bitten or he bumped something real hard cuz the blood looks to be inside (like he isnt bleeding as far as i can tell)
I hawk watch my tank daily so this is new to me and i have never seen this or even heard of anything related to it so im curious
I add excel and flourish and aqueon but idk if that does anything for fish

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
So long as he's active and acting normally you have nothing to worry about.

Sometimes fish freak out and bump into things, causing a tiny blister or bruise. Your gravel is pretty good size compared to the cory's nose, it's possible he just nicked himself on a rock.

Just keep an eye on him for any behavior changes. It's probably a bruised/scraped area that will heal up fine in a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store