Fishing Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
LOL Hotdogs??? Ill keep that in mind let see if my nephew doesnt eat them all before we get there. Dang that kid loves hotdogs. lol.
Yep, you'd be surprised at how many fish LOVE hotdogs, I've pulled up one bluegill after another on that setup, also if you're feeling bold,take off the float, and tie on a larger hook, cut a round of hotdog and put it on there. I can pretty well guarantee you a catfish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Yep, you'd be surprised at how many fish LOVE hotdogs, I've pulled up one bluegill after another on that setup, also if you're feeling bold,take off the float, and tie on a larger hook, cut a round of hotdog and put it on there. I can pretty well guarantee you a catfish.
Yup, when we go jug fishing on the Brazos river we use hot dogs for bait. For trotlines we use ivory soap. Works like a champ on channels and blues.

Mark

Bioshock

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
I'd suggest using minnows for bait, whatever variety you can get but small or medium sized. Most fish will take a minnow and crappie especially go for them. You can buy fishing rod two packs at walmart of the zebco 202 push button I believe which are easy to use with limited experience. Fish the minnows under a medium sized bobber with your hook about 18-20 inchs below the bobber. To hook your bait you can simply hook through the back or better yet in through the nostril and out the bottom lip with the hook.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Is it harder to pull in a catfish then it is say a bluegill??? I know they get bigger then bluegills but do they put up a big fight???

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Decent fight... not in the same category as a bass though. Big cats can give you a decent tussle but on the whole, catfish aren't what you'd call big fighters. A 10 pound channel will definitely let you know he's on the line, especially with light tackle, but I've landed 20 pound flatheads on crappie rigs.

Mark

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Never let it be said that fish keepers are one dimensional. All of the previous advise was great...hotdogs and Ivory soap...well I'll be.

I can't remember their name but they sell a thousand varieties of it all over the country. Mr. Twister or Bass'n spin I think. It's a small jig head (a hook with a lead sinker cast onto the eye end of a single barb hook and an eye painted on the sinker) with a bent wire that carries a small metal spinner just above the jig head. You can get all different colors of rubber grubs with wiggling tails that slide on the hook and last most of the day. They aren't any fun in the weeds but bass and panfish will all take it and I've even caught striped bass with the bigger ones (and baby they do fight).

I'd stick with the Zebco recommendation (read the directions when ya get it - the drag is also explained there). They're about as bullet proof with kids as it gets. Also my preference with the little ones is to stay away from the treble hooks (Mepps, crank baits, jitterbugs, et al) 'cuz all a kid has to do is be in the same county as one and they're stuck. Nothing puts a damper on the day like a trip to the ER.

Bobber and worm, cricket, minnow, hot dog, all sounds good though. The kids get excited when they see the bobber start dancin' and even if they don't get the fish it helps keep them in the game. Matter of fact, the less casting that they're doing the better. Safer that way.

Generally the earlier you're out the better and mid day in the summer is usually a better time to take a nap than fish.

Most of all good luck and have fun.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
You kidding im more afraid of catching myself with my own line then my nephew lol. Ive seen some informercials which have some fishing poles for kids and it conceals the hook till it gets into the water. Has anyone seen or tried that pole before???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store