Fishless cycle question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Update: I added ammonia this morning, and 14 hours later it's back to 0 ammonia. Nitrates are at 20 and Nitrites are now showing at 2.
Feedback?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wait 24 hrs, test, post results again.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Okay, 24 hours later: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 2, Nitrates 20--so no change.
Do I understand correctly that I keep feeding ammonia and wait for Nitrites to rise off the charts?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
The nitrites dont need to go off the charts. You just want to see a spike in nitrites. From there you start to see nitrates spiking. Then you do a large 75%-ish water change and procceed to stock your tank. Since this is just a new filter on an established tank you may actually never see the nitrite or nitrate spike. If you see that it reads 0-ammo 0-nitrites and only nitrate you can then procceed to do a water change and stock your tank once again. Im curious, what size tank is this and any set stock list yet? :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
It is a 35 gallon Hex, and the tentative plan is either: honey gourami, harlequin rasboras, cory cats or angelfish, bloodfin tetras, marble hatchetfish, kuhli loaches.

The choices are limited at my lfs :(

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
It is a 35 gallon Hex, and the tentative plan is either: honey gourami, harlequin rasboras, cory cats or angelfish, bloodfin tetras, marble hatchetfish, kuhli loaches.

The choices are limited at my lfs :(
Angels, bloodfins and marble hatchetfish with some kuhlis seems like it would be a pretty majestic tank- however you have to be careful the angels don't try and eat the kuhli's when they get bigger (angel's mouth size+spaghetti shaped kuhli= tasty snack, even though they can reach five inches). So perhaps some bronze/panda/julii/false julii cories for the bottom instead of the kuhli loaches- unless they are both raised together from small sizes (getting small angels with small fish and raising them together seems to lessen the chance of the smaller fish being seen as a meal)

Honey gouramis are awesome fish, docile and colourful- I'd recommend them to any beginner fishkeeper because I had them as a kid and they were hardy and endearing.
Rasboras look like awesome schooling fish, I have yet to keep them but they are the top of my list for my new tank.

I'd opt for the 2nd setup myself, just because i've already kept the former stock before.

Also, beware that the hatchetfish are reputed to be high jumpers, make sure the lid is really tight.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Is it possible that my new FW planted aquarium has already cycled? It's been 4 weeks and after last water test taken about 3 days ago the water is "perfect". 0 amonia, 0 chlorine, 0 Nitrite, 0 nitrate, Hardness 100, alkalinity 120, PH about 7.7. I do have a few fish and have been using a product called "Cycle" that allows "immediate introduction of fish". What think you? Did I act too soon?

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Sorry. I will have this moved to a new thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store