Fishroom Multi Tank Stand Construction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
We use iron stands welded togeather, and it would be strong enough to hold 4 250gals and one 500gal in the middle.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Bob, what's "P&O?"

jm1212, I'm confused as to why it would matter if the entire stand is covered if the bottom rim of the tank is the only contact point with the stand. I don't see how it could help if it's not touching the tank. Am I missing something?
pickled in oil, a metal treatment process for carbon steel, affects workability of the metal. Soft for forming, yet strong.

Fishman07

I AM THE FISH WHISPERER
Mar 12, 2007
Southwest, GA
you could take cinder blocks and stack them vertically into two stacks. take 2 4x4's and put them through the holes. then, where you want your tanks to be, you could take 2x4's and cut them to the distsnce from each 4x4. you could then take thes 2x4's and lay them across the 4x4's like bed slats.You could make these as wide as needed also, you would just have to put mor stacks of cindeblocks behind the first set.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I thought about the cinder blocks, but there'd be too much possibility for fluctuation I think.

I'm going to build a normal 2x4 framed stand 2 levels up. The only difference will be that the bottom tank will have one or two support 2x4s for the above tank across the front that can be removed. Each level will be screwed together then bolted to the uprights. Sort of like www.garf.org stands but double stacked.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Too often I see the horizontal frames attached to the sides of the 2X4 legs and I get a little creeped knowing the only thing that is keeping the top frame from crashing to the floor is a couple of screws ( or worse nails!) waiting to shear off.
Would you be creeped out knowing that's how your house is held together? :p screws are much stronger than most people think (of course, only if the joint is done properly).

Having said that though, I really like your framing technique... I'm a big fan of overbuilding things, and that thing looks ready to rest a truck on!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm looking at doing something similar, except all my tanks will be hidden behind a false wall in the basement with only the fronts showing through windows in the wall. I drew up a few different ideas for the stands, and then talked to an architect about it. He did some research and basically said to design each support like a wall, with a header and a footer and verticals for support. Here are screenshots of the PDFs I got, the plans may change a bit, and in the side view the tank widths aren't exact, but you get an idea of the design.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Let me preface this post by saying that I am NOT a DIY-er, I suck at building stuff, and I have very little understanding of carpentry and what constitutes structural integrity, and what not. But I just have to throw this in there.

A LFS that I frequent used 2x4s and 4x4s to build DIY stands for every tank in the store. They held 30x55 gallon tanks to make up the FW section. The stands were painted black. A couple years after the store opened, the stands started to twist and bend just a little bit. I'm not sure if this was due to water damage or the slightly uneven concrete floor (I suspect the latter). Even though the stands had been leveled initially, the twisting still happened, and caused quite a few of the tanks to leak. This person eventually had steel stands custom fabricated and powder-coated. I guess just make sure that your floors are very, very level... because shimming the stands probably won't work as a long-term solution.

Good luck Pete! You should definitely do a build thread for this project, I think a lot of others would benefit from it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store