Five Young Angels Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Thanks for helping, Pootspete. Two of the three are now staying at the top of the tank, angled slightly upward, noses almost out of the water. None of the other fish in the tank are acting this way. So I looked up diseases to see if there was something specific I could do. Look what I found at a fish disease site:

"Symptom: Colors of the fish become more intense or really bright, panting, and hanging just below the water surface. Cause: nitrite/nitrate poisoning."

That is EXACTLY what these two angels are doing, but the third one isn't. I am angry. The bags those fish were in must have been loaded with ammonia or God knows what. I know the problem isn't in my tank, because I did a regular water change four days ago and no other fish has the problem.

If that's what's wrong with these two angels, will the clean water in my tank eventually bring them around, or are they goners?

Oh I'm so angry. That fish suppliers do this stuff to their animals. And I'm just as angry at Superpets for encouraging it. The guy there told me, "Oh, when we get a shipment of angels, we always lose 12 or 14 of 'em." No concern whatever shown by this guy.

Okay, is there anything I can do now? Would these fish still be exhibiting signs of nitrite/nitrate poisoning after a night in a clean tank? Or is it something else, do you think?

THANKS AGAIN,

-- Pat

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
That is a total disgrace these pet stores and owners to have no concern about these animals and you have every right to be angry. Sadly, that does not change the situation that you are in now.

From the little knowledge I know and even you said that the tanks at the store were awful, we know for sure that the water that these little guys were sitting in was toxic.

Pat, you may get more suggestions if you post this in the Cichlid forums.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
From what I understand, Angels are like Betta's, in that they have a lung, and need to go to the surface and stick their "noses" out of the water for a gulp of air. So, by the sounds of it, they are doing the right thing. I would be worried if they didnt hang out at the surface during this weak transition.

I have been looking around, trying to find more information on this, but haven't been able to. Anyone?

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
The remaining two angels are doing better--swimming around the tank, and they've stopped hanging near the surface. They still don't look too good, though. (Decz, angels are not a labyrinth fish like a betta--they're cichlids, if I understand it right.)

I believe the other three died of ammonia poisoning due to negligence on the part of the shipper and/or the store. This is based on their symptoms, the brief amount of time I had them before they died, and the general chronic condition of the tanks at the store. And they're not the only ones, based on the employee's statement regarding the large quantity of these fish they "lose" on every shipment. I'm also basing this on other customers I've seen there who are returning bodies and demanding refunds for other types of fish that have died.

I left a message at the store for the owner to call me regarding possible criminal treatment of his animals, fish being as much an "animal" as are the guinea pigs or puppies he also sells.

I'm not doing this because I'm looking for something to fuss over or threaten someone with; I have a life. I am just sick and tired of seeing fish mistreated by sellers, and the attitude of this particular store in regard to that is callous, to put the kindest spin on it. Enough.

This guy is going to clean up his act or I'm going to take further action.

--Pat

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
So sorry to hear about the losses...I can guarantee that ammonia poisoning is the culprit. Angels are a little finicky about their water anyhow, and it's really sad that the fish store doesn't know or care about what these pets need.

I think it's a great idea to call the aspca or something about the way this place treats their animals, since if they treat their fish that way, what about everything else? I went to a pet store (that will remain unnamed because it is a small place in a small town....) that the fish were in terrible condition, and upon further inspection, the rat cages and hamsters had ants in them from neglect of cleaning....it was gross. My ex-husband wouldn't let me call anyone about this, not even the BBB. He was afraid of getting someone's dander up and getting into lawsuits with these people...I wish I had called anyway, looking back on it....

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Update: two of them appear to have made it! One was swimming all over the tank last night; the other one was not zipping around, but they're both alive this morning.

The store owner has not returned my call. The word's apparently already out about this store, though. I was at another lfs yesterday getting a CO2 Fizz Box (see that post!), and as soon as I brought up "other lfs" he mentioned the name of this store. He said he heard it's really bad, but the guy depends "mainly on his puppy business."

I'll be taking the three dead fish back soon (they're in a freezer bag); maybe I can talk with him then. I want to keep it reasonable and constructive--anybody got any suggestions as to what I can say that will move this guy?

-- Pat

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Talking to blockheads....

First of all, don't be threatening in your approach. I would walk in, explain about your dead fish, and get that taken care of first. Then maybe you could casually mention to him that you've seen he's been having a lot of problems with his tanks, especially his angels, and that you'd be willing to do some research for him to see if maybe you could help him cut down on his losses and save him some money from having to return fish...

Or you could ask him if he needs help with his water maintenance. If he actually cares about the welfare of his livestock, he might actually welcome the help. He might just be unaware of how to fix the situation....Don't be too quick to call him an a-hole, because he might just be uninformed about the animals he sells.

If he looks at you like you are being hateful and gets upset at the very idea that a customer knows more than he does about fish he sells or gets angry at you, call the BBB. They can put you in touch with who to call and get the guy shut down for animal abuse (if the laws in your area concerning this apply to aquatic animals as well...) The least they could get him for would be a health code (for having unsafe water conditions in his tanks that someone may accidentally come into contact with...)

Good luck, and I hope the first scenario is what happens....

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
Pat, glad to hear that two of the fish that you rescued the other day are still with you.

You are doing the right thing about exposing that store and the owner! He knows he is guilty, and is in every way trying to avoid a confrontation.

All the best!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store