Flood Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Soul Chile

AC Members
Dec 2, 2009
Chicago, IL
During the crazy rain that we experience in Chicago last week, our basement flooded. Water came in from the sewers lines and so it came up out of the floor drain and the toilet. The toilet was clean but the insurance company told us that it's still considered biohazard. In the flood all of my 5 gallon buckets (used for water changes and what not) either were tipped over and filled on accident or were used to collect and dump water out of the basement.

So now I need to do a water change plus running a dehumidifier 24/7 next to my tanks isn't helping any. :duh: lol but I was wondering what I needed to do now to clean/disinfect my buckets without using anything that is going to harm my fish. Suggestions?

Thanks, Soul
:help:

P.S. if you've heard of the town of Westchester on the news regarding the floods, that town is not even a half mile South from my house.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
50/50 bleach & water mix? Um, go buy new buckets? Ew... I'm sorry for the horrible situation - good luck!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
New buckets are cheap. Just replace them.

Soul Chile

AC Members
Dec 2, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the suggestions.

Buckets are indeed cheap but so am I. lol Living on a college student budget forces me to try and save my pennies. And since our insurance isn't covering anything (apparently seepage is not the same as sewer water that backs up) I need to save ALL the money I can! :)

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
doesnt that always seem to be the case with insurance companies? Go with the bleach method and I hope everything turns out okay for you.

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
Free buckets at your local supermarket

I've gotten buckets from my local supermarket. The bakery. Ask them for any empty and uncleaned buckets they may have. You don't want them if they've cleaned them as they put them in big dishwashers with soap.
Buckets are usually used for icing.
Takes awhile to clean them out with very hot water. But they're free, and you can get a variety of sizes. If you can't get that "sweet" smell out completely, let them sit in the sun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store