"Flora Base" vs. Flourite/etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
This may be too late to be of use, but perhaps for future reference or anyone surfing the forums...

I purchased some flora base recently and yes, it is VERY expensive, prohibitively so to use as an exclusive substrate. Nor would I use it exclusively simply because of how much it clouds the water (though it claims to do the opposite).

I purchased one bag of the stuff to use in my 40 gallon tank. I also use roughly 60 pounds of very fine regular gravel. I pre-rinsed the gravel, though did nothing to the flora base, as the directions tell you not to pre-rinse it. You should have seen the dust it created when I poured it in and mixed it into the gravel!!!

It may or may not be a good product. It's been about a month now since I've had it, so I don't know if the cloudiness when disturbed eventually goes away with water changes, or how it works for plants, but I will let you all know soon as I am getting my plants in the next day or so.

I would perhaps consider onyx sand an alternative to flora base as I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Here is something that I found since I bought 5 bags of Flourite instead of trying this stuff:

"Something totally new from Red Sea...an Aquatic plant substrate that actually benefits the plants and the aquarium. A new innovation in formulated substrates. Flora Base has been scientifically designed to provide the optimum nutrients and growth factors for all aquatic plants while significantly increasing the overall beauty of the aquarium. It's completely pH balanced and will actually remove cloudiness from the aquarium water. Read below for some of the other great benefits provided by this new innovation in substrate technology:

Flora Base: All-in-one Aquatic Plant Substrate. In nature, aquatic plants flourish where the river or lake bottom provides a regular supply of the minerals and organic substances necessary for the vitality of the plants, and where its texture allows the plants to root strongly. Flora Base is a scientifically formulated, state-of-the-art product that provides both the nutrients and texture required by plants for proper growth and development, guaranteeing ideal (natural) conditions for lasting plant growth. Flora Base is made from natural ingredients including river bottom clays and naturally occurring organic compounds that have been formed into a soft, porous, granular structure that is easily penetrated by growing roots. The roots are thereby truly anchored to the substrate while having immediate access to all of the nutrients. The porous structure also allows plant nutrients to be released to the surrounding water so that no additional fertilizers need be added. Flora Base is pH stabilized and will assist in maintaining the correct pH beneficial for aquatic plants. The natural properties inherent in Flora Base actively absorb floating substances removing cloudiness from the aquarium water. Each 12lb (5.4kg) bag of Flora Base will provide the right quantity of substrate for a 10-gallon aquarium. Flora Base should NOT be rinsed prior to addition to the aquarium or mixed with gravel or other substrates."

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
While the topic of substrates is raised...

I thought I'd add a little something for the future reference of others:)

I am very impressed with Schultz's Aquatic Soil (Profile). It is more readily available (at least where I am) and can be picked up at Home Depot for 5 bucks for a 10lb bag.

I prefer the look of it over Flourite - it is smaller grained, one solid terra cotta color and doesn't need to be rinsed a quarter as much:)

My plants are all growing like mad and I'll probably never spend the extra money on Flourite again..

This is what it looks like - (btw, since this pic was taken this lotus has grown to the surface...I'll think about getting some pics up later of it...in a sort of time-elapsed growth pic:)):

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The uniformity of color is one of the things I object to about Profile - the blend of colors in Flourite is much more pleasing to me. I have never been able to live with uniformly colored gravel. But that is personal preference.

My main objection to Profile is that it is too light, it just is not dense enough for me.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I do like the color of profile, MPV turface(they make a black type too!), but the light weight is my main gripe.
Planting and replanting is a PITA.

You can mix similar colored sands with these light weights to give some density.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Personally, I don't care for the UN uniformity of color in Flourite lol. For whatever reason, it looks 'volcanic' to me. And onyx sand gets on my nerves...black dirt? It looks funny to me.
That just goes to show personal preference is even applicable to 'dirt' :)

I haven't ever had any issues with profile being too light to hold plants down. Maybe I'm just lucky - even my hydrocotyle stays in place with the cories wreaking havoc around it.

Plus, I've noticed I like my microsword/dwarf hair grass better in profile, its probably all in my head but it looks denser to me because the stalks can grow closer together.

but, even if i did find it too light, the price is worth a little extra hassle, imo:)

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Profile is good value for the money no doubt. I bought a bag of Aquatic Plant Soil and it's a darker red than yours. It is more similar to a uniform coloured flourite in terms of dark red.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hm thats wierd. Was it perhaps the Schultz's Aquatic Soil (Conditioner)? Its almost the same thing. Or was it really "Profile?" I'm just curious because I've only ever found this color.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Huh, thats neat:) And yes, it is meant for ponds lol.
Maybe there is slight variation in color according to the nutrient source (though I've opened up 15 bags of the stuff so far). Who knows lol. All I know is that I like it:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store