Flourish Excel IS Glutaraldehyde

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
I posted the article because I thought you might like to glance over it.
Well, thanks! I appreciate any and all information on subjects which catch my interest.

Mainly, I was afraid you had seen something I was ignorant of, if that ever happens (and my wife can point out, it frequently occurs <grin> ), please bring it to my attention.

Warm regards,
JS

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Mainly, I was afraid you had seen something I was ignorant of, if that ever happens (and my wife can point out, it frequently occurs <grin> ), please bring it to my attention.
When that happens with my wife I find ignorance the best defense lol.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
When that happens with my wife I find ignorance the best defense lol.
LOL!

Hey, does your wife have a sister, who was given away at birth, is lost, and she is looking for her? I think I may have married her! ... <frown>

Actually, I joke, I am lucky to have this one. And, very lucky she puts up with the likes of such as me ... :)

Regards,
JS

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
JS, hop over to barrreport.com. That is Tom Barr's site, he has done full out, professional studies on the most popular fertilizers and is the father of EI dosing.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
idk JS i think you are a bit 2 direct with your accusations..
Tom Barr and other members are here to help out.. sorry if they dont come back within 5 sec of your post and reply.. people got other things to do.. And instead of getting hostile with what someone said.. either accept it or ignore it and move on.. Dont underestimate anyones knowledge..

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
idk JS i think you are a bit 2 direct with your accusations..
Tom Barr and other members are here to help out.. sorry if they dont come back within 5 sec of your post and reply.. people got other things to do.. And instead of getting hostile with what someone said.. either accept it or ignore it and move on.. Dont underestimate anyones knowledge..
You have a problem with being direct and honest? Hmmm, that is something I only dream of, I guess, huh?

I certainly have made all these mistakes, and more in life (I am 55, I call it "doin' the speed limit! <grin> ) ... if you think someone has done something I have never done in my life, let me reassure you, it ain't real! Someday, when you have the time, I will go into depth on the mistakes I have made ... you don't go to sleep easily, do you?

I don't think I am "hostile", strange you jump to that conclusion/accusation, and so quickly!

And, I don't "underestimate" anyones' knowledge, I was just commenting on what has been presented ... you are free to present why I am in error, trust me, I will not be offended! Indeed, ask my wife, I am mistaken, and often! LOL

I just call 'em as I see 'em, not here to earn Brownie Points ... but, something tells me, you already know that.

Regards,
JS

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
Glutaraldehyde falls into my category of pretty toxic stuff. The wikipedia article has a decent summary for uses and links to information about toxicity etc.

http://www.npi.gov.au/database/substance-info/profiles/46.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/glutaraldehyde/

I know that with safe handling there still may be opportunity to save some coin but in the risk/reward method of thinking my mind is made up.

All that being said, getting back to your original post I think your logic and math holds up and I don't think too many people would be shocked to find that there is a huge markup on many aquaria related items. Heck, if they can sell "Betta water" there is no limit to what they might throw out there.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I saw no accusations made or even doubts expressed, just a perfectly reasonable request for corroboration of a statement. This is a friendly discussion and it should stay that way.

I have nothing of substance to add but am interested in seeing what new information crops up here.

Cheers!

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
Found this....
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/archive/index.php/t-80.html
not sure if buying regular Glutaraldehyde is something I would mess around with...at least not with a tank with anything but plants and I wouldnt go putting my hands in the water at higher concentrations. Besides on the bottle of excel it lists "polycycloglutaracetal" which is not the above mentioned chemical exactly.
"Polycycloglutaracetal is an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde"
Take it how you will I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store