Fluval 303 pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frontosa311

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
i currently have two 303's going. i would only clean or replace the carbon layers. the biomax is your biological filtration and you don't want to clean or get rid of that. i personally don't even replace the foam pads either because they eventually become biological filtration too.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
You should clean/rinse all the media using either de-chlorinated water or water taken straight from the tank. By rinsing the media in tank/de-chlorinated water, there is no risk of losing the beneficial bacteria.

The sponges will last indefinitely if they are cleaned regularly. If you allow them to become clogged with debris/detritus, the effectiveness of your filter will decrease dramatically and your water quality will suffer.

The carbon will lose its effectiveness, as chemical filtration, within about a week. And, carbon is not at all essential in your filter; many people only run carbon to remove medications or to 'polish' the water. You can run carbon all the time, if you prefer, but it will be expensive and last only a few days.

Last edited:

lawnman

AC Members
Mar 2, 2003
Windsor Mill, MD
Visit site
Thanks for the respones, is it true that carbon removes copper from the water and I should get a copper test kit from what I was read from another thread?

I was thinking of getting a Salifert, Hach or LaMotte test kit as our fellow members pointed out to me. I really didn't think that for ahead on those terms.
Thanks Lawnman

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I tested for copper just to be sure, but if you don't think that you have any equipment that's ever been medicated (including the tank), your risks are pretty minimal. I used a SeaChem test kit which I liked alot more than my Red Sea one. They're good, but if you can afford the LaMott's I'd definantly go for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store