FLUVAL 305 F0R A 20 GAL??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jsb3

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Hello! I am new to the forum and have a few questions but I will only tackle one with this thread.
I am starting out a standard 20 gal tank and came across a great deal on a Fluval 305. ($89 bucks new.) My mind was in bargain mode at the time thinking great deal, great deal!
Is this filter going to be too large for a 20 gallon tank? Or will it just filter the water 2x as much as the 205?

I am planning on having a friendly community tank of smaller tetras, danios, etc...

Thanks for the time reading this post. Also, if I posted in the wrong topic forum I apologize.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
It might be a lil powerful on the outlet side.

Where are you getting this deal for a 305?! haha

jsb3

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
The deal was at my local Petland store. They are having a grand opening sale 20% and I had a 10% coupon also. I could always return it and opt for the 205, but I figured if I ever wanted a larger tank I would be set.( I have found the prices at Petland to be way lower than that of other chain pet stores.)

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Thats good, most LFS are overpriced.

Get the 205, or you can keep the 305 if your not doing fish that can handle the strong current.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You can always redirect the current or build a custom output with bigger holes to reduce the pressure of the water coming out of the return line.

However for a 20 gallon, you'd be fine with a HOB filter.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Yeah, you can always make a spraybar that extends from one end of the tank to the other to spread things out, and aim it upwards so its sprays towards the surface.

jsb3

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
I am going to keep the 305. I forgot about being able to add on a spraybar. Thanks for the help.

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
I'd certainly say that you should get it. I've always erred on the side of over-filtration & a too powerful output flow that I have diffused so that the fsh are comfortable, rather than not having enough & stuggling from THAT standpoint.

Good luck!

LJx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store