Fluval 307 vs Aquatop 3-Stage CF300

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I want to upgrade my filter, my initial plan was to build a sump but I don't have space for one so decided to go for canisters. I've looked into a few and have narrowed the options to these 2:

Aquatop CF300 and Fluval 307

right now I'm leaning towards Fluval because it has a lift of 1.75m and I do not know this information on the Aquatop. I plan on putting the canister on the floor, height from floor to top of the tank is 1.60m

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
We need to know what size your tank is please. I had an old Fluval 404? & it was hard to open for (rare) cleaning. I'm sure they both are better nowadays. Did you look at Eheim filters? There are many folks that love them & some other brands too. Make sure whatever kind it fits where you need it to go & can be easily removed. Preferably under the tank but I did a Rena 3 beside the tank. Not the prettiest arrangement.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
We need to know what size your tank is please. I had an old Fluval 404? & it was hard to open for (rare) cleaning. I'm sure they both are better nowadays. Did you look at Eheim filters? There are many folks that love them & some other brands too. Make sure whatever kind it fits where you need it to go & can be easily removed. Preferably under the tank but I did a Rena 3 beside the tank. Not the prettiest arrangement.
tank is 45 gal.
i can take the eheim classic 250 into consideration but i read somewhere that it is 230V and not 120V

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I forgot you're not in the US. Eheims sold here are 120v so maybe check what's available to you.
do you have one of those eheim? I still buy things from Amazon US so i'll most likely get a 120V unit. However seeing its specification there is something I do not understand:
1715572163211.png

what does "installation height" mean? I thought it could be the head lift but it is highlighted to be 1.5m

Also I remember that this one does not mention flow control, which is why I was thinking between fluval 307 and aquatop.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see the "standard plug" is Eur. I don't know what type of outlets you have but be careful.

I'm not sure what Installation height means. maybe that includes tank intake depth too not just to tank top rim? I don't know.

My older Eheim classic doesn't have a flow control as far as I know

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Either of them should provide ~1.6m of lift no problem once they're primed of course.

I've used a few sunsun models (same as that aquatop) and had good luck with them. I gave them away some years back as I swapped setups around. Same with my eheim classic.

I have a hard time spending the money on the old "legacy" name brands because of how the quality has gone down hill over the years. IMO, you don't get what you pay for with most of them anymore.

Go based on the options you want. Figure on the real world flow specs being about half of what the manufacture lists and don't buy the lowest cost.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Having owned fluval and eheim classic i would pick the fluval - i have no experience on aquatop or sunsun.

One of the issues i have with my 5 year old eheim is the rubber part degrade after a couple of years and get very hard; so for example their is a rubber elbow between the return and spray bar but it has become so hard and non-elastic the spray bar no longer connects correctly and eheim support sucks (i contacted them to get the part number to see if i could order a replacement). Fluval support is actually pretty decent (the motor on my fx6 started to misbehaved and even though it was a month past 3 year warranty they went ahead and replaced it).

There are other considerations such as reistance to leaks; in this regard i would say the eheim and fluval are equvialent but i've read that some canister filters are more prone to leaking (easy to mis-seat the gaskets or poor design choices). Some do have more features such as support for uv bulbs if that is an interest though if they have the feature i would ensure it is well designed.

I would say that fluval are a bit pricey for what you get and there are some design choices i would change (the eheim is much more cleanable esp around the propeller shaft). So there are trade off but in terms of long term usage (5 years which is not that long) the fx6 has definitely aged better than the eheim classic.

As for flow control valves - both have valves but my understanding is increasing flow restriction places load on the motor (the way all these unit works is the propeller is magnet driven; i also worry about the magnet suffering if the propeller spin is restricted by water friction but perhaps this is unnecessary concern.

Good luck.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Head height matters. And if you have a max of 1.75 and you are liftinh 1.5 you will have pretty slow flow. You can raise the output if you raise the canister higher.

That said I have 34 canisters all are Eheim. I bought two used tanks over the years which came with Fluval canisters. I sold those canisters chaeply to replace them with Eheimms. I got the Pro II series which is long outdated and not made for a long time. All three are running fine and the one over 20 years I just closed down the tank.

The first 10 years that filter ran I pumped pressurized Co2 into the intake. The filter was as quiet 20 years later as the day I got it. I bought my last one on Ebay NIB after they had been dicontinued.

I wanted nothing to do with Sun Sun, Aquatop of Fluval as I consider that like buying a cheap Chevy instead of a Mercedes.

I am not sure where they now make them. I know the Classic line is made in Chona, so even though it has the Ehaim name I would not want on. But I know that the other models were being made in Germany or elsewhere in Europe 5 years ago, I am not sure where today. I believe Fluvals are made in Europe, it used to be Italy but may now be more spread out.

I prefer if possible not to buy anything for tanks from Chine when possible. I am willing to spend more if needed. So Sun Sun is not on my list. I use Aquatop heaters which break just as often as the other brands. Heaters are the least reliable equipment we use, IMO. Aquartop may be made by Sun Sun as far as I can tell.

And do not kid yourselves, China products have degraded the same as those made elsewhere. But I have Eheim Pro II canisters ruunning from between 12 and 20+ years with minimal issues. head gasket here and there and a few of the tiny parts between the trays that eventually wore out. Thye are a couple of dollars iwhen they do, I often get my small spare Eheim parts mailed from the UK and they come fairly fast. One of those 2026s I got on EBay NIB was intended to used for spare parts. By them they were on to higher number models.

I am one who likes to keep things simple. I do not want almost anything digital for my tanks aside from some of my testing equipment. I had that cars are digital as it is almost always that sort of parts breaking morso than the mechanical ones. Heck, I even dislike anti-lock
breaks. :p

p.s. It is alright to have floe contol on a filter but it should be on the output side not the intake, The filter needs to be filled when it runs and if we slow the intake and that allows air to accumulate inside the canister, it can cause problems. this is also true for poerheads and pumps. If you close of the output and motor still runs at full speed but the output slows things, Impede the intake and that can reduce the water level inside the unit. I was taught this about 23 years ago by a fishkeeper whose job was working with immense pumps use in huge installations, not the "toy" one we have.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
While I value the equipment experience our members like T TwoTankAmin have, once again I say, the eheims, fluvals, etc you buy today are not like the ones that were purchased 30yrs ago. Made in China or not. I'm pretty sure the OP is not going to find new in the box, old stock equipment to buy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store