Fluval 404 / 405 DIY micron & sponge filter modification (Gunner's F404 Supercart)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
OK where were we, or should I say I, LOL. Encase anyone thinks I love being indoors today on the computer so much its becasue its been raining non-stop. I was suppose to post this over a weeks time LOL. The 3rd rainstorm in this the driest desert on earth next to the Gobi, so much for global warming.

Like I said the sponge insert didn't work. So after much though realized if I had just 1 sponge I cut custom cut to seal up the bypass gaps on both sides of the canister including the bottom and top, water from the inflow port which empties on the fart side of the sponge compartment would be forced to use the massive 110 SI surface area of the sponge to easily get to the cartridge on the other side.

So I made 1 sponge out of 6 new AC 70 sponges using glue to bond them and also glued a plastic canvas backing to keep it stay ridged and not deform. I also trimmed it to a custom fit shape but left enough over so that the sponge would compress along the top, bottom and sides to prevent water bypass.

So now rather than having this huge gap when you place the lid on, the lid compresses the sponge in place, but has a notched cutout on the far side where the return water port has a cut-away where the water runs in.

The only minor mistake you will see is I used a little too much glue on the grate to sponge, however this will be corrected with the use if a small drill to clear those clogged passages in the grate, and besides the number of grate holes affected are really negligible.

Also the one thing I did not capture in the photos is the notched relief port on the far side of the grate and the size of the spacing on the far side of the grate which you can barley make out but which is spacious for water flow. The AC sponges were the right thickness to support that channel and only had to be trimmed and tapered along the sides and the relief port. Note how it sticks up to be compressed by the lid to lock the water on the other side for filtering.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
NICE... i've been considering putting a whole house filter inline with my canister for some time now. this is a nice twist to that idea. very interesting.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
The fart side? LOL, hey, I am dieing to know, did you remember the mayo? What size filter did you end up going with?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
NICE... i've been considering putting a whole house filter inline with my canister for some time now. this is a nice twist to that idea. very interesting.
The cool part is none of the changes affect the original configuration which means like the Magnum you can switch back and forth in a matter of minutes. The only part affected is the dedicated impeller cover as you will never separate the 3/4 inch fitting from that PVC glue, but that's OK you just need two, one for normal and one for carting.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
is there enough room for some AC? This is a cool mod, only cost effective if you have a spare 404 laying around though ( I suspect many do).

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
NO more questions?

OK, so now that the DIY parts are made the switch out is as easy as the Magnum.

You just pull out your normal bypass sponge insert and baskets. and remove the impeller cover.

Inset your modified impeller cover with cart adapter, slide on your snug fitting non-bypassing cartridge onto your adapter. Then slip in your snug fitting modified non-bypassing sponge insert.

Now you just line up the canister lid push the lid into place with the locking handles, "set-it-and-forget it". Your done! Just follow the pictures below.

I wont be able to start trials until I get back from LAX to drop my wife at the airport, besides I want to silicone-seal the corrugated hose link as a precaution and that take a cure time of a couple days anyway. Then next Wednesday night Ill be back, so if there is any question please ask before I leave Monday, thanks.

Last edited:

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
NO more questions?

OK, so now that the DIY parts are made the switch out is as easy as the Magnum.

You just pull out your normal bypass sponge insert and baskets. and remove the impeller cover.

Inset your modified impeller cover with cart adapter, slide on your snug fitting non-bypassing cartridge onto your adapter. Then slip in your snug fitting modified non-bypassing sponge insert.

Now you just line up the canister lid push the lid into place with the locking handles, "set-it-and-forget it". Your done! Just follow the pictures below.

I wont be able to start trials until I get back from LAX to drop my wife at the airport, besides I want to silicone-seal the corrugated hose link as a precaution and that take a cure time of a couple days anyway. Then next Wednesday night Ill be back, so if there is any question please ask before I leave Monday, thanks.

This is yur best mod yet, touche!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store