Fluval 405 Biomedia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I have a fluval 404.

I have the pre-filters on the bottom and the bio-max on the top. I have bags with "Black Diamond - premium activate carbon" (from marineland) in one tray and "White Diamond - ammonia neutralizing crystals" (from marineland) in another. I think each tray has one bag of each.

I am not sure if I need the carbon, but I like the face that is controls odor. I have a friend who is convinced carbon adds algea. His house smells fishy. I also use whispers on most of my tanks with the carbon filters.

That polishing pad seems like it clogs up fast. I found this on that link:

Pads should be changed every 7-10 days (or sooner if pad becomes clogged and filter's flow rate diminishes).

Junky123

AC Members
Oct 23, 2006
Orange County - CA
I have read many threads in regards to Activated Carbon and majority stated that it is only required if you want to remove medicine. You can't leave it in the filter after a few months or they might have some reserve effects - so I read.

As for Polishing Pads, I know nothing about it and I don't think I can afford to change it out every 7-10 days although I like the "clear water" advertisement.

Any other ideas folks?

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Thanks Junkie123 for being understanding about my goof!

What about filter floss instead of polishing pads? I don't want the fishy smell in my house - I have 3 tanks now, about to add two more - AND the house will be on the market to sell very soon, so fishy smell DEFINITELY will NOT work here! Other than carbon, what will keep the smell down? I have always had carbon in the tanks I've had until recently when I took it out of one because of the plant fertilizer - still can't find enough supporting evidence that leaving it in is bad - except perhaps for the plants not getting enough ferts. We've run our fluval 304 for almost two years with only replacing the carbon once (ignorance was the reason for that) - but never had any problems - unless the algae overpopulation was caused by the lack of ferts from the carbon - otherwise no issues with carbon 24/7. Any other thoughts I should be aware of?

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
If you are using the polishing pad stop right now. I've learned very quickly that marineland's rite size bonded filter padding to be 100% superior to it. It's about $5 for a month or two's supply. I saw differences in water clarity in one day. I put it in the top baskets because if placed lower the thing may clog.

Also, seachem's matrix bio media is pretty good stuff. It helped my cycle process due to the surface area.

Besides that, all I am using now is the stuff that comes with it. Next I will try bio balls. I just got a second fluval and I am about to set it up.

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
The canisters I have here came with bio balls, so I tried them early on. They have less surface area and are said to not be all that effective in a submerged situation, but in my experience they do work at least to some degree and are very non blocking. Good backup media for one tray. I have them in conjunction with other media...

In my 'test' I had a 4 tray canister with 1.5l of ceramic rings, 1.5l of ceramic open pore and 1.5l of bio balls (with poly matting for mecahical in the other tray). I removed the bio balls to try another media and had a bacterial bloom and mini nitrite spike. So there were a substantial bacteria population on the bio balls. No ammonia spike, so maybe only some bacteria types will colonize there... Not sure.

I have some matrix, but it's expensive here in Australia. Seems to work well tho. But then I get good results with plastic pot scrubbers and el cheapo Chinese ceramic rings as well. :)

doox00

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
go to ebay and search for 25 activated carbon. There is a person that sells 5 gallon buckets (at least 25 pounds) of activated carbon for about 50 dollars shipped. I have a bucket of it I got last year, WELL worth it, save huge money on buying replacement ones from the store. Just rinse it really well before using, keeps my water crystal clear.

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
Anyone ever use those plastic scrubber pads from the dollar store? They have some insane surface area but are generally used for wet/dry filters. I think they would fit well in the baskets.

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
kmail5776 said:
Anyone ever use those plastic scrubber pads from the dollar store? They have some insane surface area but are generally used for wet/dry filters. I think they would fit well in the baskets.
I have 10 or 12 plastic pot scrubbers in one tray of a canister here on a goldfish tank. Seems to be working well.

Junky123

AC Members
Oct 23, 2006
Orange County - CA
Can anyone post a picture of "Plastic Pot Scrubber"?

Thanks

amosf said:
I have 10 or 12 plastic pot scrubbers in one tray of a canister here on a goldfish tank. Seems to be working well.

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Junky123 said:
Can anyone post a picture of "Plastic Pot Scrubber"?

Thanks
These are what I use... They come from a 'dollar store' type place...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store