Fluval 405 or Rena XP3???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i havent seen on for sale online yet. if you ask an LFS they should be able to get it in for you (even if they dont know it yet).

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
My Fluval makes noise. It's not an obnoxious noise like I experienced with the Marineland emerors... but there is definately a deep sounding motor noise. Not a grind... more of a flow.. It's coming from the canister itself, and it's audible throughout the room. My Eheim 2213 makes a more more grating motor noise, but it's also audible only in silent conditions with the door to the stand open. With the door shut, it seems silent. The Fluval is audible throughout the area, even with noise in the room, TV. No one complains, but you definatley know it's on.

I probably wouldn't buy another fluval... for two reasons...

Reason 1: Bypass.. lots of it!
Reason 2: I don't like the spray head or the tubing.

But it IS easy to service... and I like that.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
sounds like something is wrong with your fluval ... mine is silent.

There is probably air in the hose or osmething...

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I haven't tested(YET) but if you examine the design it does make sense. I've read that if you block the top tray of the Fluval(say, wrap it in plastic wrap), you'll still get a pretty good flow from the spray head. If true(and I may try it)... you've got a lot of potential for bypass.

To be fair, I'm sure there is a degree of bypass in most canisters. The best would be the Eheim Classics with their intake on the bottom and output on the top.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
How do you have your fluval canister stacked?

maybe theres something wrong with your media configuration?
mine doesnt make a noise and it keeps my water very clean. I've also added the surface skimmer expansion to get rid of dust on the surface so everything is sparkling. I also use a pre-filter on my hagen powerhead 70 to avoid deadspots though.

My media is two caskets full of poly wool to strain past the sponge then i have two carbon then the rest are biomax and i doubt i get any bypass because my biomax never has annnnnnything at all on them. No plant debris or gunk or anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store