Fluval media options and flow regulation Q

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
What is the best media to use in my Fluval for a FW planted community tank? Right now I've got the carbon and Bio stuff that came with it.

Also, how far down can I turn the flow? At full blast it makes way too much current in the tank and it knocks some of my tall plants over. Right now I've got it turned about halfway down. WIll this provide enough filtration? Thx.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Hiya,
I posted to the DIY & products section asking about biological media for canister filters in planted tanks, if you want to check out the answers here's the link:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36953
I wouldn't use the carbon that came with your filter - carbon can remove trace elements that are desirable for plants. In a planted tank the only time I'd use it is temporarily, to remove tannins from peat/driftwood or a medication from the water.
Turning the filter flow down will probably cause the filter's bacterial colony to be slightly smaller, but I don't think it will have any real negative effect. You certainly don't want your fish or plants to live in a hurricane, so I'd turn it to a point where there's good flow but the tank's inhabitants aren't uncomfortable.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Turn the outlet towards the wall a bit.

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Ok, my next question was about the carbon. I was thinking that it would be taking out the nutrients that I add with Flourish. Seems a little counterproductive. What can I use instead?

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
Hi Wrench,

Regarding your original question about how much you can reduce the flow, the instructions on my 304 say not to run it less than half way, so I suppose half way should be fine.

As for carbon, I think just about every poster I have read agree that there's no need for it, unless there's something specific you want to get rid of (e.g., meds) from the water. Just stuff the basket with more of the other media you want to use (e.g., foam, floss, biomax, etc.).

Hope this helps.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
in my fluvals i dont use the carbon, just like pretty much everybody else. i have co2 injection in both of my tanks and a while back my ph in one of my tanks dropped drastically because of it. so i decided to replace the carbon with crushed coral to help keep the ph somewhat more stable. just givin ya my $0.02................................................. if its a penny for your thoughts then why did i just give my 2 cents? where did the other penny go? taxes? hahaha.

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Thank you thank you. The carbon is coming out.

i just bought a bag of
Filter Fiber it says that it is
100 percent polyester is this that
same as floss? IM wonderin if i could
put this in my empty media containers
on my 2 fluvals what do you think ? :)

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
yeah, that would work, i'd say go for it. i used to put that stuff in my old eheim years ago, it works great. very good for bacteria growth, or at least i thought so.

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
I had planned on using poly wool, peat granular, ammonia remover and bio max in that order from the bottom up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store