**** Fluval!!! Plz assist!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I know this has been asked 1000x, but I really need help! I cant get my Fluval 404 to work after dismantling it to clean it out. I always make sure it is full of water before filling it, but its acting very strangely, as I see bubbles and water flowing out the intake spout for maybe 2 seconds, and then nothing...The top isn't on backwards; it doesnt go on that way. So I have to reprime it, and start all over. I've reset the top many, many times but it isnt helping at all...I've spent 3 hours screwing with this thing and I'm about to fling it out the window...Its great when its running but god what a pain to maintenance it! Fortunately I have aeration so my Malawi tank wont be gasping tonight, but I'ma lose a ton of bacteria, depending on how fast you respond ;) (I got class to go to too, so I will be without filtration for 3 more hours assuming I get it fixed when i return :mad: ) So yea, plz assist!!!! My fish thank you in advance!

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I had this problem once before on my Fluvals that I still have. On one, the filter lid was not seated correctly so it was sucking air around the seal of the lid when the canister was trying to build a siphon. I just had to keep removing the lid and putting it back on till I got it right. I'm praying for the day when it does break so I can replace it with a Filstar.

Hope this helps,
Dave

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Is it one of the newer models (grey with a blue primer/plunger)?

If it is I can't see why you would be having a problem. Whenever I had any trouble with mine it was due to air in the system. I just keep on priming while it was running until all the air was out and the filter started running on its own.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Fluval

You can always try priming it the old fashion way.

Take off the spray bar and suck until the water flow starts. Then replace the spray bar.

Once the air is out the flow should take care of the rest. I (well my boss actually. I couldn't do it) have had to do that on a couple of installs from the store with some of the eheim classic models. I however have had to do it a couple of times with my old fluval 403, cheap piece of junk.

Which is why my boss did it on the installs and the reason that the fluval is sitting bone dry in my laundry room.

Good luck.

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Cypherman
. . . I always make sure it is full of water before filling it . . .
In addition to the above suggestions, I was wondering whether you have tried topping up the water in the canister *after* you have replaced the top. On my 304, I find that it helps to do that. I just pour water into the canister through the two holes where the hoses are supposed to go.

Hope this helps.

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Originally posted by Tyler718
On one, the filter lid was not seated correctly so it was sucking air around the seal of the lid when the canister was trying to build a siphon.
Y'know I couldn't quite tell but I think there might be a slight leak somewhere along the seal although I'm soooo tired of reseating the **** thing. So everyone seems to be of the consensus that there is air inside ruining everything? Would that explain why it runs backwards for a few seconds once primed, then shuts off (maybe the air screws up the vacuum or something)? BTW does that little wedge shaped "flap" on top of the lid below the primer that pops up and down have any useful function? (I have the older model so I dunno if you guys have it or not). Thanks for all of your advice so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store