FO Tank with Inverts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
As I said I won't be using Liverock at all, so I'll be treating it much like a standard FW tank just with saltwater. It'll be FO, not FOWLR.

Gangstafish- Yes this is the 17g I'm talking about, not the 55.

So I've ordered a few things to get started.
950/lph intank filter, I'll probably add a spraybar to prevent a whirlpool occurring
No Brand Protein Skimmer, with 1.4/lpm airpump, this is an experiment to see whether the skimmers actually any good, if it isn't it'll at least help to aerate the water.

I'll boil the sand thats in the tank now and reuse for saltwater, cycle with a shrimp and decorations will probably just eb a few pieces of base rock, nothing special.

Then stock will be something like
1 damsel OR 2-3 clown gobies
5-10 Zebra Top Snails
2-5 Hermit Crabs
MAYBE a single shrimp, still need to do some reading about those though.

So the tank will be an FO tank, no liverock, I repeat no liverock. I'm curious to see how one would run in comparison to my Reef tank.
How about a sexy shrimp? They are very fun to watch.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
Theres no way to add a fuge, biological filtration will be from the internal filter... which will be 950 l/ph I'll also be growing macro within the tank.

I'm not sure sexy shrimp are legal in Australia... there the one shrimp I've never seen, anyone know?

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Very nice, wish we could buy featherdusters here, we only get em as hitchhikers on the LR.

seems to be a fairly heavy stocking for a 15g, do you have a protein skimmer, or just do big water changes?

The firefish are gorgeous, I'll be getting one or two for my reef tank, their not suitable for the little one I'm setting up though as theres heaps of holes for them to jump out of.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Blah still waiting for my protein skimmer and filter, I love living in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm slowly beginning to work out what I want the tank to look like, I'm going to snitch a few pieces of rubble from my reef tank, and add another 1.5kg of liverock from the bunch I have curing at the moment, which will be sued as decoration, there won't really be enough to act as a filter.

Tank will have a small skimmer which apparently can skim up to a 250l tank, I highly doubt it, but it should work for my little 65l tank, filter is the 950l/ph filter, but I'm still trying to decide what will be in the compartments. The filter has three separate compartments, one will def have carbon, one will have filter floss/sponge but I'm not sure what'll go in the third one. I'm not usre if i wnat to use phosphate remover, as if I get an urchin it will be eating the algae, phosphate remover will remove it's food....

The substrate will be straight river sand, which was already in the tank, I'm just gonna wash and boil it multiple times to remove any junk thats collected in it.

Stock I'm still not completely sure on but it'll be something like

2-3 small fish

3-5 hermit crabs
1 urchin (one of our local varieties which I'll collect myself, yes it is legal)
5 zebra top snails
5 black nerite snails

I'm also playing with the idea of getting a tunicate, but I'm not certain on their care yet...

So does all that sound good?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Blah still waiting for my protein skimmer and filter, I love living in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm slowly beginning to work out what I want the tank to look like, I'm going to snitch a few pieces of rubble from my reef tank, and add another 1.5kg of liverock from the bunch I have curing at the moment, which will be sued as decoration, there won't really be enough to act as a filter.

Tank will have a small skimmer which apparently can skim up to a 250l tank, I highly doubt it, but it should work for my little 65l tank, filter is the 950l/ph filter, but I'm still trying to decide what will be in the compartments. The filter has three separate compartments, one will def have carbon, one will have filter floss/sponge but I'm not sure what'll go in the third one. I'm not usre if i wnat to use phosphate remover, as if I get an urchin it will be eating the algae, phosphate remover will remove it's food....

The substrate will be straight river sand, which was already in the tank, I'm just gonna wash and boil it multiple times to remove any junk thats collected in it.

Stock I'm still not completely sure on but it'll be something like

2-3 small fish

3-5 hermit crabs
1 urchin (one of our local varieties which I'll collect myself, yes it is legal)
5 zebra top snails
5 black nerite snails

I'm also playing with the idea of getting a tunicate, but I'm not certain on their care yet...

So does all that sound good?

1 - 2 small fish maximum in my opinion as its only 17 gallon. I certainly would not put an urchin there as i feel it will always be struggling for food in such a small tank.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Urchin will be fed, I'm not expecting it to find much food in such a small tank, have found a few good sites on their care and recipes for feeding.

By small fish I mean less then an inch, over an inch it would be just a single fish.

Hmph am having a problem with the tank, the ballast appears to be broken for the right side lamp, it still works fine but makes the loudest most irritating buzzing noise. I dug out the warranty on the tank only to find it covers virtually nothing which is even more irritating and you can't exactly just buy a new hood for the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store