Food advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Well I have been in this hobby for 29 yrs now and by far the best food in my experience is Ken's fish food, I have witnessed excellent results with my Tanganyika's with this food, I feed high proteins so pay attention to what you are feeding whether they are Carnivore or Herbivore will depend on your foods.. Plus Ken's is reasonably priced, I use the 2mm pellet super grow which is a higher protein along with Earthworm Flake and Super brine shrimp flake also higher in proteins, I feed all of my Catfish species Ken's earthworm sticks and Grow sticks which is a really great bottom feeder food..

If I were to use another food it would be New Life Spectrum which is a great food as well and my third choice would be the Omega food brands.. Caution do not smell the Ken's earthworm pellets they are pretty smelly but my catfish love it and if it smells that bad than it has to be a good food..

But yeah the above information is right on with the foods that are low budgeted like aqueon, Top Fin, Wardley and a few others pretty much crappy and are full of fillers, Also watch the frozen foods they are mostly water for the price and is debatable if they retain much nutritional value you will get a better quality food as a pellet form than anything else..

Of course this is my opinion only.. And we know what opinions are..

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
My take on that is that Wardley is the brand you are most likely to find on the grocery store shelf - similar to 'ol Roy being the most easily found dog food in a grocery setting. Both are full of fillers and not based on quality ingredients (hence the low price and ready availability that makes them a popular choice for non-pet store retailers). For me, Wardley would be at the bottom of the list. Is cost a concern for you? There are variable brands available at different price points that maybe we could recommend if we knew what fish you are feeding, etc.
'Ol Roy is only found in Walmart and Sam's Club. It's made by the Walmart Co. and is named 'Ol Roy after Sam Waltons dog. But same still applies it is a cheap dog food which I would never feed to my own dog due to it's poor nutrional value. Same goes for Wardley.

Well I have been in this hobby for 29 yrs now and by far the best food in my experience is Ken's fish food, I have witnessed excellent results with my Tanganyika's with this food, I feed high proteins so pay attention to what you are feeding whether they are Carnivore or Herbivore will depend on your foods.. Plus Ken's is reasonably priced, I use the 2mm pellet super grow which is a higher protein along with Earthworm Flake and Super brine shrimp flake also higher in proteins, I feed all of my Catfish species Ken's earthworm sticks and Grow sticks which is a really great bottom feeder food..

If I were to use another food it would be New Life Spectrum which is a great food as well and my third choice would be the Omega food brands.. Caution do not smell the Ken's earthworm pellets they are pretty smelly but my catfish love it and if it smells that bad than it has to be a good food..

But yeah the above information is right on with the foods that are low budgeted like aqueon, Top Fin, Wardley and a few others pretty much crappy and are full of fillers, Also watch the frozen foods they are mostly water for the price and is debatable if they retain much nutritional value you will get a better quality food as a pellet form than anything else..

Of course this is my opinion only.. And we know what opinions are..
A Dime a Dozen. LOL

A smelly food to us is like heaven for catfish. There sense of smell is amazing and when something stinky catches there nose they got to find it and eat it. That's why allot of fishermen use stinky baits for catfish.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
'Ol Roy is only found in Walmart and Sam's Club. It's made by the Walmart Co. and is named 'Ol Roy after Sam Waltons dog. But same still applies it is a cheap dog food which I would never feed to my own dog due to it's poor nutrional value. Same goes for Wardley.

A Dime a Dozen. LOL

A smelly food to us is like heaven for catfish. There sense of smell is amazing and when something stinky catches there nose they got to find it and eat it. That's why allot of fishermen use stinky baits for catfish.
Touche'
and
Yep - you wouldn't believe some of the "recipes" you can find online for stink bait - BLEH!!!!!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
If you are buying, go with New Life Spectrum foods, Kens, also started using some from Angels plus, very nice flake.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yep that earthworm pellet is ripe man but like you said they love it for sure, My Cory's go nuts on it..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store