for african cichlids: slate vs lava rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
very nice !!
Thanks. Now all I need to do is get more fish beyond the 3 yellow labs, Auratus, and Kenyii. I'm all yellow, all the time. Gotta get some other colors in there. Gonna go look at getting something tonight. Maybe something with some red or maybe some Brichardi. Maybe a nice Ahli. Who knows...

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Other than "fool's gold" and select few others, pretty much all river rock you find is fine in your fish tank (just scrub and boil), the worst (or the best in african tank) that could happen is your ph will slightly go up.

All my rocks are pretty uniform in color (dark brown/grey), so they pretty much stay as part of the background and don't take away from fish being the center of attention. But if you have no other alternatives, hey more power to your wallet :)

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I go to the landscape yard where they sell all sorts of cool rocks in bulk.
You have to pick through it, but the brown rock and rip-rap are 3 cents per pound.
When I setup big tanks, I get about 250lbs for $7.50 plus tax.. and usually that's too much for my tanks.

I find that it's uneven so it looks more natural than slate, and it's not as rough as lava rock. Here is a photo... mixed in with some african rootwood.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i went with lava. much cheaper. =] anyways, how should i clean it? i was thinking of soaking each piece in hot water for a few hours. is that enough to get rid of dust and/or other contaminents?

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Looks good. Definitely less than the pet shops, but the landscaping places around here would not sell anything for 3 cents a pound.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
slate more expensive then lava? where does one get large lava? I got mine at the pet store once never again wow the cost for one piece !
i just got a bunch of nice lava for around $7. lots cheaper than slate if you ask me. but how to wash it. . . ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store