for those considering a cannister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
let me know in a year how it works... a few weeks, even a month just ain't gonna cut it. No review before that will answer the durability question

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Pardon me, but my two Eheim Pro IIs have been running for year- the one I ousg pressurized co2 through is no running for 6+ years and the other one for 5+. Both filters still work great and are still as quiet as the day I bought them.

If you want to know if this new brand of filter is any good, lets wait 3-5 years. My Emp 400 has been going for over 8 years and I have ACs running for as many as well.

There is an old saying that you get what you pay for.

Fla_Larry

AC Members
Jan 16, 2009
Port Charlotte Fla.
I dont know, if it lasts a year it looks to me like your ahead of the game.
50.00/year or 200.00 for 5 years

Time will tell. keep us abreast OP

for 50.00 i would be willing to give it a shot just on GP

matter of fact i think i will, hell it's gotta be better than the Topfin 60 that died @ 6 weeks ( replaced that with an emporer 400 Nice filter there )

Last edited:

gogol

AC Members
Jan 29, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
i swear by knockoffs. great secondary filters, though have not used this one in particular. it's all essentially simple equipment, except for really high end models. and most likely all made in china anyways. just a motor, impeller and a plastic housing. good media is what matters to me.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've been running the regents/aquatech filters for years..even used the penguin bio wheel on a couple.

they are called penguin knock offs.

like I said.. $59.99 delivered ..it's worth a test.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
FYI< upon all the concerns re :safety
I inspected the box as well as boxes I have for other filters (AC included)

the Catalina 918 has a CE certified label on the box(meets European safety requirements).
interestingly the AC's had none.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
neat thatd be a good alternative to DIY but ya gotta wait and see how long it works for though. only time will tell that though, but by that customer service you pointed out it might be a good filter!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm interested to hear how it works out, nothing wrong with inexpensive in my book. Good customer service is a plus too. Some of their stuff is "made in the USA" so not necessarily "inferior Chinese crap", I'm open to companies' improvement, Honda came a long way with their cars. My only canister experience is with Rena XP3s & I like them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store