for those of you want to start planted tanks...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
i found a bit of hair algae as well. im not too worried though. i have mollies, amano shrimp, and red cherry shrimp in other tanks if i need their services

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
my rams spawned :)

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
i thought i would update this thread and reiterate that you do not need a super fancy set up to successfully keep a planted tank. i run no CO2 and i have a shoplight that gives me about 2 watts per gallon. id have to say, if youre going to spend money on something, spend it on the substrate. i have 60lbs of fluorite that makes life a lot easier. i dose with excel (1 capful) per week. thats pretty much it.

left side:

middle:

right side:

whole tank shot:

two weeks ago, the plants were half as tall as they are now

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
i know you can get it online, but you will pay an arm and a leg in shipping. i found it at a local fish store though. id start at a place like that.

and to be fair, there are other good substrates you can get like ecocomplete and laterite.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
in reality, any substrate is fine. but it takes more work (root tabs, ferts, etc). i like the fluorite because it is created with a ton of nutrients in it, which means i get to be lazier ;)

drunkenmastera

AC Members
May 21, 2009
Evans, GA
in reality, any substrate is fine. but it takes more work (root tabs, ferts, etc). i like the fluorite because it is created with a ton of nutrients in it, which means i get to be lazier ;)
same here, i really don't want to setup a co2 diy. too much work.
im try to find this today.
thaknks

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
my setup is really simple, but it works well. the plants as you can see are thriving with minimal effort on my part. the most work i do are water changes and keeping the plants trimmed down. the beauty is that by trimming my plants down, i am propagating them. i started with a handful of stems and now i have more than i know what to do with

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store