For those that own Tankbusters...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
I only ever had one glass canopy cracked by a large Snakehead that really hit it hard. He was outside the tank. It was a real interesting way to be wakened from a nights sleep. The only thing the larger Cichlids have broken were heaters and sponge filters. I did have one Pacu jump out of the pond. I am damn glad I wasn't peering over the edge when that little missle took flight.

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
lol mojo, I can just imagine a fish shooting out of the pond and smacking you in the face. :D

and that would of been funny if your snakehead escaped and found its way in you local lake :D

Last edited:

Ray of Sunhine

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA.
Visit site
Mojo, I have two of five that are missles in the air when it's time to clean the tank. I tell you it has happened to me twice both were 5inches. Mind you my face was over the tank at the time. I thought both were going to jump straight into the wall. Thankfully they landed back in the tank just as soon as they jumped.

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Spencer: The Snakehead did make it under my son's dresser from the tank. Guess he couldn't figure out the door.

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
Below is a photo of part of the glass canopy to one of my 75g's shortly after it was cracked in two by my 8" cyanoguttatum:

Last edited:

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
Sorry tight dog I have to say no on this one canopy could crack because the glass is thinner but most 75gal and above tanks have 1/2 inch thick tempered glass I would like somebody to show me photos of this.

Ivan

Registered Member
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
I did have a new 75, under 1 year perfect tank, crack on me. I had a snakehead and large catfish in it. both a little over a foot. Don't know who did it but when I came down one morning water was coming out of it. Cracked in the lower left corner in the back that ran to almost the top right corner. It can happen.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by SoulkeepeR
lol mojo, I can just imagine a fish shooting out of the pond and smacking you in the face. :D
;)

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Your pacus will be fine in a 180 for a year, and you do not need to pad the sides and back to prevent them from breaking it. Even with a glass tank, the fish itself is unlikely to be able to generate enough pressure at the point of impact to crack the tank (fish are pretty soft and squishy when you get right down to it); most broken tanks are the result of the fish knocking something else harder and sharper (glass heater, rocks, etc.) into the glass creating a lot of pressure on a very small point of impact. And acrylic is even less susceptible to this problem than tempered glass.

But your fish will eventually want a lot of room in order to feel comfortable and less skittish, so the larger tank will eventually be a very good idea, more for the health of the fish than the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store