fork in the road

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what works for convicts does not mean it works for angels who will eat the eggs and babies if they feel threatened.
for them undisturbed tanks usually result in more success..but then again.. the pair do need to be viable..often when pairs form you may need to seperate them from time to time

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
Well I have tried leaving them in the community tank. then I moved them to a smaller tank by themselves. With no success yet, I am hoping this will be the trick. I do not worry about the parents eating the eggs or fry for 2 reasons. 1 I keep my fish fed with almost fully live or frozen foods, and 2... well if I at least get the eggs to be fertile then I am onto something. Small steps forwards.
the netting is on the intake sponge because the sponge itself is very porous and open, and I know from experience wrigglers can and do make their way through it and into the filter.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
Well after another unsuccessful laying, this time I watched the whole process. That male just didnt seem to have the stuff.. never figured out he needed to be there doing something as well. I pulled that male from the breeding tank and placed him into a 90 gal I have. I took another fish, which I assume to be a male into the breeding tank. This angel is gold, and developing some nice blushing characteristics. I am continuing to change water every other day at 40%.
I feed the pair frozen blood worms, freeze dried brine shimp, freeze dried tubifex works 2x a week and they get regular flake food on the last day. I feed 3 times a day, and rarely have much food left over. If any is accumulated on the netting I siphon it off during the water change. I currently have an active brine shrimp hatching and housing system going. so if she is able to make some eggs fertile this round I have the food for the fry.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
well the eggs left in the tank all went white and got eaten up. I looked around and found a source of RO water. so I thought I would try that out, I made a small refugium out of a glass canning jar. added RO water and an airstone. im around 24 hrs since the laying, a few are white, the rest seem to be doing well. when I shine a light in the jar I can see some of the eggs are developing. Crossing my fingers this does the trick.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you do have a pair.. it may take them several spawns to get it right

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store