found a stump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
i would recomend to never bleach wood. boiliing and salt baths are much better alternatives. boiling it would also help it sink. how big is it?

i doubt that any heavy metals that would be present on/in the wood that wouldn't get washed off by a power washer would get removed by a dechlorinator without lots of the dechlor and a long soak in it.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I don't know how big your stump is or the dimensions of your tank, but if I was going to stick a root stump in my tank (and I have always thought it would look cool), I would saw it in half and put the flat, sawed side against the back of the tank and bury some of the downward pointing roots in the gravel/substrate.
Just a thought.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
The tank is a 150, I believe but am not sure it is 72.5x19x24 but I can't remember the exact numbers. The stump is about 28 or thirty inches tall and about eighteen inches around. There are not a ton of branchy roots they all just go out a little but the neatest part is all of the holes. They are really long and run up and down it. I'll see if I can't borrow my sisters dig cam and take a picture. I don't have a pressure washer but I guess renting one would still be cheaper than buying a piece of wood this size. I am going to have to get out the sawzall to trim it up any way so I think I will try your idea matak but I think I won't do it in half maybe just trim off like 20%. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm now thinking pressure wash (I just remembered we have one at work:) ) and then soak with metal remover. I might try a little salt too in case there are termites, although I guess they would make a nice snack, kinda like a giant fish pez dispenser.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I guess they would make a nice snack, kinda like a giant fish pez dispenser.
:D
Somefinnfishy suggested to me a while back to take my driftwood to a DIY carwash and wash it on the rinse setting. If you do this, rinse it real good in case there is any soap residue in the water stream. Wish i had a tank your size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store