Free Big Tank Refurb Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drewhop

AC Members
Jun 28, 2008
So I have a 55 gallon with a big oscar and big pleco in it. So I have been looking for a tank for a while now. Just hoping to find a good deal.

I run a small car lot and was talking to one of my customers and they said they had a big tank that I could have. So I said sure I will take it. They did not know size but when I got it home it is 4 Feet x 21 x20. So I think that figures out to roughly 78 gallon internally.
Ok so here are my questions.

The tank does not have a center brace anymore. They said that when they got it it did not have it. Should I make one? If I do have to make one any advice cause the plastic piece where you would typically screw a brace to it is gone in that section.

It also does not have a hood for it. I was going to make my own hood for it not a big deal. Is there anything I should take into consideration when selecting what type of wood I should use.

And last but not least. Filter and heater size.
Filter if I were to use say a penguin 400 and two large high powered sponge filters hidden in each corner would that be enough filtration?
Heater how many watts do I need?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared before I jump into this un informed.

Thanks in advance Andy

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
What is the date the tank was made, and can you visibly see if there was ever a center brace there? Some older tanks do not have center braces.

Ive never used sponge filters so I cant really help you on that one..

The heater wattage depends on what enviroment you live in. Example, whether you live in a warm climant or a cold climant.. I would shoot for 2 one hundred watt heaters tho.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
If the tank was supposed to have a centre brace it will need to be repaired before you use it.
You would be much better investing in a good canister filter rather than using sponge filters.

discusman54

AC Members
May 5, 2007
Tidewater,Virginia
I'm in a similar situation with a 90 gal. with no center brace and a damaged frame. The tank never had one but the glass is 3/8" thick. The corners of the frame where mitered and not a solid frame work too.The reasoning seems to be if the glass is thicker then a center brace can be left out. Personally I don't like that idea for several reasons. One being almost all hoods and glass lids are in 2 pieces, requiring a brace, the second is strength.
Glasscages.com sells aquarium frames, I hoped to replace my frames but the tank dimensions where slightly off so I'm back to the "drawing-board". if I want to use this tank.
I do know that when my tank is full it expands about an 1/8" in width at the top. That means bonding a brace in could be a problem.
I guess the bottom-line is if the tank is in good shape and never had a brace, you can probably use it.
Good-luck

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Heater...I shoot for 5 watts per gallon..divided between two heaters.

Get a canister...something like a Marineland C Series 360.

If it had a center brace...replace it or jury rig in something appropriate.

Hood...? allow plenth of room to perform maintenance and gravel vacs.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a 100 w/o a center brace or any other braces. Look at the trim to see if it ever existed. It is possible it may not. It came with an Emperor 400.

Sponge filters are fine if they are large enough and used along with your Emperor 400. You should invest in a canister if you are going to go planted. (I have sponge filters rated for 100 gallons) I have an AC110 and a small wet/dry and they do the job quite well. With having an Oscar I didn't bother with plants since they like to redecorate all the time.

Sponge filters have been around for a long time because they work. There is nothing wrong with using them. With having an Oscar make sure you stay on top of your tank maintenance. When measuring the tank, measure the glass itself and not on the trim.

Drewhop

AC Members
Jun 28, 2008
The tank has a brace underneath it. The person I got the tank from said that when they got it did not have center brace.They used the tank for years with no center brace. The plastic frame is busted in several places around the outside top ring so its hard to tell if it had a center brace. The glass is pretty thick I will go measure it again in a bit. The inside diameter of the tank are the dimensions that I posted.

If I was going to make sure the sponge filters are large enough. I make my own. Is there a chart that says what size pipe/sponge I need to use. Basically I am gonna place the penguin 400 as close to the center of tank as possible and a sponge filter on the left and right side of the aquarium. I plan on securing a big piece of slate to each filter to stop him from smashing them around as much.

So I need roughly 2-200 watt heaters to heat the aquarium properly?

discusman54

AC Members
May 5, 2007
Tidewater,Virginia
The tank has a brace underneath it. The person I got the tank from said that when they got it did not have center brace.They used the tank for years with no center brace. The plastic frame is busted in several places around the outside top ring so its hard to tell if it had a center brace. The glass is pretty thick I will go measure it again in a bit. The inside diameter of the tank are the dimensions that I posted.
If it has a center brace on the bottom it probably had one on the top. I'd check out replacing the frame with a new on from glasscages.com.
Bob

Drewhop

AC Members
Jun 28, 2008
Just a update on my tank. So today I finished making my DIY Python (it rules). I have the aquarium in my garage cause I do a leak test outside before I ever bring a large tank in my house. Hooked up my nice new DIY python for a leakdown test on it and the aquarium. First off the python rules. My back has thanked me already. Took about 25 minutes total to fill and drain the tank.

After filling and draining I decided to fill the tank again and let it sit for a while see if it springs a leak. As I mentioned before the tank does not have a center brace. I measured the tank in the center where a brace would have been before and after filling. It flexed outwards 3/8". Is that a safe distance for flexing? The glass is 1/4" Tempered. I would feel safer with a center brace but I am not sure on how to make one for it. I am also ready to make a hood for it but I want to make sure the tank is completely safe before I spend the money on making the hood.
I also noticed a couple of surface dings on the corner of the tank. One is very small not to worried about it. A second mark looks to be between 1/16"-1/8". It is directly on the corner would just filling it in with some glue/sealent be helpful?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drewhop

AC Members
Jun 28, 2008
I am drawing a blank on what to use to support the glass or if I even need the glass supported. I am ready to move the aquarium into my house but want to make sure I am safe. It has held water with not a single drip (and it is slightly sloped cause my garage is sloped)
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store