Freezing Flourish Excel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Just a crazy thought after reading up on using Osmocote in capsules or freezing it in some water so it can be placed under the substrate.

I've been using Excel for little while for the few plants that I have and I can tell a pretty big difference since using it. But I've wondered how much gets 'lost' in filtration, especially if you're using cartridges that have carbon in them. Maybe none gets lost, I don't know as I'm a plant newb.

But in either case, does the idea of freezing Excel so it can be placed near the roots (of plants that have roots) sound crazy? I'm just wondering if the concentration at the root system would be of even greater benefit. Or is this something that's absorbed more through the leaves?

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
While freezing won't hurt the Excel, I don't think it would benefit the plants more at the roots. Excel is a carbon source replacement for plants, and terrestrial plants normally receive this through CO2. Aquarists will rely on CO2 injection, Excel, or nothing at all to supply this carbon. The CO2 aids greatly in photosynthesis, and this leads one to believe that leaf surface area is where the Excel is most beneficial, not at the root base.

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
I am new to the planted tank thing also but have quite a few plants in my 55 gallon (not sure of the names). They do not look like they are growing. What kind of flourish should I be using, I've seen a few different kinds?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I am new to the planted tank thing also but have quite a few plants in my 55 gallon (not sure of the names). They do not look like they are growing. What kind of flourish should I be using, I've seen a few different kinds?
If they are not growing, I would first check your lights. Adding ferts of any kind without a balance in light and CO2 is just an ingredient for algae.

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
If they are not growing, I would first check your lights. Adding ferts of any kind without a balance in light and CO2 is just an ingredient for algae.
I just have the regular aquatic florescent light that I bought at home depot. How much light should they be getting?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I just have the regular aquatic florescent light that I bought at home depot. How much light should they be getting?
You do not understand. You just cannot increase one.

Upping the lights the plants would need food (ferts) and would grow faster. Growing fast the plant would need more material for it's body to grow (Carbon). To add the carbon we would need to add CO2 or Excel (CO2 is better).

PS--Excel has a anti-algaecide added. This has been know to "Melt" certain plants---Vals, ect
People have been using at half dose without noticeing any problems. I have used Excel, but will not use it again. It is a good product, but not for my tanks.

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
You do not understand. You just cannot increase one.

Upping the lights the plants would need food (ferts) and would grow faster. Growing fast the plant would need more material for it's body to grow (Carbon). To add the carbon we would need to add CO2 or Excel (CO2 is better).

PS--Excel has a anti-algaecide added. This has been know to "Melt" certain plants---Vals, ect
People have been using at half dose without noticeing any problems. I have used Excel, but will not use it again. It is a good product, but not for my tanks.
I do not really want to get into doing all that...lol .... so my best bet is just to leave it alone? All my plants look healthy they are just growing slow... thanks for the info though.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store