Fresh water aquarium book

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Latvian

AC Members
Sep 22, 2005
Connecticut
Hi there..

I have just got my 10 gallons tank and I was wondering if you could guide me to a book that I can read regarding fresh water fishes and aquariums.

Thanx in advance

SwimminglyFishy

AC Members
Jan 19, 2006
I don't have a book recommendation for you, but I will say that there is a tremendous amount of information on the internet and particularly this site. In my experience, books can sometimes have information that is the "old way" of doing things while the internet has the ability to be constantly updated with new information (though not all of it is reputable, so be careful). That being said, I'm sure that some people here will have a good book for you to pick up.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
'Tropical Fishlopaedia- A Complete Guide to Fish Care' by Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess is one of the top books I could recommend to anyone.

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Overall, I liked The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums by David E. Boruchowitz. It's straightward, easy to read, and covers pretty much all the basics. Any book, take what you read with a grain of salt... the information isn't always 100% correct, and/or it's what worked for the author, but may not work for you. This forum's got a lot of good resources with good information, often with more than one way to do something, to supplement any reading you do.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
Keep the research you do organized and handy for quick reference.

I read some books from the library where the info contained was too general to be valid.Every tank has a different dynamic to it,unlimited factors. When doing research on the internet stay away from advice from sites that are selling fish at the same time.Most people that work in fish stores are only qualified to give you advice on fishes they have actually kept themselves.

Common sense tells you to take advice from someone that has more experience than you.Does not matter how much research you do you and advice you get still probably make all kinds of mistakes.If you have no fish keeping experience your common sense should be telling you kept it simple to pick your favorite kind of fish and see how it goes for the first 2 or 3 months.

Ok not exactly about what book but anyways.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I agree that the internet has the best and most updated information. I think there are some good books out there as previously mentioned but up to date research is your best bet.

Marinemom

Espada

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
I agree that the internet has the best and most updated information.
The problem with that is that there are bits and pieces everywhere, which makes finding the right information (which has to be accurate too) quite a challenge for beginners. They're much better of with a good book.

And let's face it; how many sites come even close to books like Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants, Baench Aquarium Atlas, Aquarium Plants (Kassellmann), Nature Aquarium WorldThe Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Setting up a Tropical Aquarium Week by Week (and I can add dozens of other titles).

For some reason there seems to be an anti-book trend among heavy internet users. I think it's not fair, books are still the best way to educate yourself. I work in the IT and I have never seen the same extensive amount of information in a single book available on a single web site. The internet is a great source, but only as an additional source. Let's face; why would anyone offer the same amount of information available on a web site for free, instead of using it to publish a book? That would absolutely make no sense at all.
If Baensch would have done that with the information from his books then people would be pointing a finger to their forehead.

And I don't know about others, but I prefer reading a book over staring at a screen for hours.

Personally I would advice a book like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Books-Setting-Aquarium-Manual/dp/B0006JKMMG/ref=sr_1_3/105-4346831-5170861?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1186751658&sr=8-3

Setting up an Aquarium Manual, it's only $4,50 and great to get you started without risking to waste too much money. After that you can decide about more expensive books, since not everybody will get as addicted as most people on this forum.

Last edited:

clikens

AC Members
May 14, 2007
When I first joined the forum someone directed me to a book called Aquariums For Dummies. I bought it used on half.com so it was cheap and has been extremely helpful, especially in setup and fish choices to start with. The people here are so knowledgeable and helpful and that has been a wonderful option, but it was nice to have something I could look at that I could take with me and get good answers from. The book is by Maddy and Mic Hargrove. They have a freshwater version, a saltwater version, or the one I got which has both. Hope this helps. Good luck and remember, most of your questions can be answered here by "hands on" experts! : )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store