Fresh water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

August87124

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2024
Can anyone tell me what the bubble on the back of my fish is? Is he sick or is that an egg? It just popped up over night.

IMG_3061.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC. We'll try to help you. Here's the starter questions, there will likely be more.

Please try for some clearer pics. I can't tell what kind of fish that is. (a little pleco?) I do see the bubble...Have you tested your water? How & what did they say?

& we need to know everything about your tank. What size? How long have you had it? How did you cycle it? (did you right?!?) What maintenance, water changes, filter cleaning etc., how much & how often? What other fish do you have & for how long?

August87124

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2024
He was a pleco, He passed today. Sad 😞

I bought and set up this 10-gal tank kit on Sunday from petsmart. Added 4 Albano catfish and ghost shrimp that day (from petsmart). I have the pleco and my bata in a 5-gal tank for 6 months. With no issues.

I cleaned the new tank with super hot water along with all the new decorations and rocks. I added 5 mL of top fin water conditioner. I have a top fin filter with an indicator when the filter needing to be changed and a top fin heater. The person at the pet store said to leave the old filter cartridge in with the new one for 2 weeks before taking it out the old one.

im planing on taking water in tomorrow to be tested.

New and inexperience fish owner

August87124

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2024
Welcome to AC. We'll try to help you. Here's the starter questions, there will likely be more.

Please try for some clearer pics. I can't tell what kind of fish that is. (a little pleco?) I do see the bubble...Have you tested your water? How & what did they say?

& we need to know everything about your tank. What size? How long have you had it? How did you cycle it? (did you right?!?) What maintenance, water changes, filter cleaning etc., how much & how often? What other fish do you have & for how long?
image.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, geez, I'm sorry your pleco died. You need to read up on the "before you get fish" at the top of this newbie forum. It seems like you set up a new tank without cycling it? That is very important to grow the beneficial bacteria the fish need to be healthy & survive. You also need to learn what maintenance & how often to keep your fish alive & healthy.

So you have a beta in a 5g. How do you care for him? How much & how often do you change his water? What do you feed him & how often?

So how are your catfish doing? I think, since your tank is NOT cycled, you need to change water every day to help them stay healthy. I would try for at least 50% if you can but no less than 30 or 40% EVERY DAY!!! You need your own at home water test kit & do it until you have "safe" test numbers (NOT a store's version of safe!). We can help with those safe numbers but you have to test & post here what they are...every day!!!!

Sorry, it's getting late for me to help tonight. Maybe others will have more suggestions but change water often!! & Test!

Reactions: August87124

August87124

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2024
Oh, geez, I'm sorry your pleco died. You need to read up on the "before you get fish" at the top of this newbie forum. It seems like you set up a new tank without cycling it? That is very important to grow the beneficial bacteria the fish need to be healthy & survive. You also need to learn what maintenance & how often to keep your fish alive & healthy.

So you have a beta in a 5g. How do you care for him? How much & how often do you change his water? What do you feed him & how often?

So how are your catfish doing? I think, since your tank is NOT cycled, you need to change water every day to help them stay healthy. I would try for at least 50% if you can but no less than 30 or 40% EVERY DAY!!! You need your own at home water test kit & do it until you have "safe" test numbers (NOT a store's version of safe!). We can help with those safe numbers but you have to test & post here what they are...every day!!!!

Sorry, it's getting late for me to help tonight. Maybe others will have more suggestions but change water often!! & Test!

Hey, thanks for the reply and taking the time to help.

I tested the water last night, took it to the Petco. They did a few strips test. They actually said that my pH level as great as well as a bunch of other ones that I can’t remember. they couldn’t do a bacteria check but the albino catfish and the betas are actually doing really well. They’re swimming around and they seem happy and healthy. The ghost shrimp enjoys swimming around the tank as well.

The picture of the filters are of the old filter from the 5 gallon tank and the new one. The filter was in the 5 gallon tank for a little over a month. The new one was placed in there last Sunday. I believe 1/26.

The second picture is of the water conditioner, as well as the microbe lift and the beta food as well as the catfish pebbles, which they don’t seem to really enjoy. I’ve put like four in there at a time and between the shrimp and catfish it probably take some three days for them to eat it.

Attachments

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, other than your Omega 1 catfish pellets, I don't know those foods or filter. pH doesn't matter too much for most fish unless it's really high or low.

Soon, can you take a water sample to petco & write down those "other" numbers. We need to know even if it's just a "range" .

Do NOT leave food in the tank for more than 24 hours. It will break down into several bad water parameters. You need to step up your maintenance regular game plan. Check out the top of the Newbie forum for more cycling info...& change lots of water as often as you can, every day would be good, every other day ok. But you need to test to know what's happening. Plan to buy a Master Test kit soon so you can test at home often or go to Petco at least twice/week. Remember, we need real numbers, not just ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store