Freshwater Flounder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
There are a few true FW species (or rather, FW species that retain a similar appearance/behavior to flounder), but usually what you see sold is a Hogchoker, which does best in brackish and maxes at around 8". The other species tend to be rather expensive and only come in as special orders (at least around here).

These are a pain in the arse to keep if you buy them small, very difficult to feed. But when purchased at a larger size, much easier to care for. And very interesting fish that have been successfully kept long term in FW on many occasions to my knowledge, not personally recommending it per say though. I used to have one, really neat fish, but it was really fragile and easily injured (couldn't house it by itself in such a large tank and they can't be kept with small fish or inverts as they'll eat them, so I re-homed it). There's quite a few keepers over on MFK if you want more first hand experience/info with the species.

RESET

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Hello all, I am taking this opportunity to make my first post. I have a "fresh water flounder". Actually, we started with three but one died when we lost power for three weeks in the winter. The second died unexpectedly about six months ago. The one we have left lives in his own 20g with a sand bottom. The ones you see sticking to the glass are doing that because they don't really like the texture of the rocks on their bellies. They prefer to partially cover themselves in sand. Both to hide and because they are ambush predators. Mine has eaten three bumble bee gobies and several ghost shrimp. The Gobies were a mistake, the shrimp were an experiment. He normally eats frozen brine shrimp. He is just under 4" after three years. We really like him but he is a special needs fish. His water is not brackish but we do put some salt in there from time to time, just barely more than you would for medicinal purposes.

OH and they change pattern/color slightly to blend in. Ours were brown when we got them and we put them in a half black and half white sand bottom tank. Their patterns changed and they became light colored with darker specs to blend in. very neat.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
after it grows to full size... a dry rub is the best type of seasoning for flounder.

RESET

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Here ya go.
This is just after we brought them home. At that time, the 20 long was split into two tanks. the other side housed a Beta. I forgot it was just white sand at first. When the beta died in the freeze we took out the divider and replaced the gravel with black sand so it was black on one side and white on the other. The Flounder has mixed it together.

This is a couple months later and it is already growing.

These were taken in February of this year.

That suction cup is about 1 inch round.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store