Freshwater Limpet Snails !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
:help2:Hi all,
I had a problem with a sudden algae bloom in my planted 50gl tank.
The day after I cleaned it I noticed that I had little white dots on my bogwood.
With research I found that they are freshwater river limpet snails and there are now hundreds of the little suckers ( very unsighttly!!!)
Can anyone tell me how to eradicate them please......

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Don't let it bother you too much then, because any methods of control such as borrowing a loach or using chemicals will hurt your other inverts. All you can do is siphon them out if they really bother you. Try to think of it as - the diversity of the aquatic life in your aquarium just expanded :)

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
would it be possible to take my bogwood out and soak it in a mild bleach solution such as the sterilizer fluid used for babies bottles and then rinse it in cold water as they seem to be multiplying very quickly?

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
how did you treat it before putting it in the tank? 20:1 water:bleach should do it, then rinse well and hit it with declorinator rinse before putting it back in

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If you do anything with bleach, I would let it dry out completely, then rinse again before putting it back into the tank.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Alternately you can use salt instead of bleach. I just sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the thing I'm trying to scrub, dampen with water a toothbrush (or bigger brush depending on the size of the wood) and get to scrubbing. It requires rewetting the brush several times but eventually you'll get it all cleaned up, and it will be perfectly safe to reintroduce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store