Freshwater planted clean up crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
probably because they already have hundreds
Bingo! When they reproduce, they make hundreds at a time and mine had egg sacs WEEKLY for about a month last summer.. I'm not complaining, they're great for my tank, but I do have to keep the herd thinned down a bit.. Petsmart says they can't buy from local breeders on anything they stock.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
If you're interested in shrimp, Amano shrimp are good. I also like bamboo shrimp because they are filter feeders and do a good job keeping the water clear. However, their diets need to be supplemented to make sure they get enough food. I use powdered or liquid fry food for mine.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Corys wont eat waste or debris but they make nice additions to the bottom. Still need to be fed like any other fish.

Dont plan on getting otos unless you plan on actually feeding them as well. They cannot survive solely on the little algae found in a tank.

Snails would be my first suggestion. Then shrimp.

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I'll get a few MTS and a couple of mystery snails (male and female). Probably should be enough for a 25 gallon...

I have 9 ottos. 4 in one tank, and 5 in another. 4 of them I've had for three years. And 2 out of the three years one lived all alone.

They all eat wafers fine. I've never had a problem with them not eating them. Maybe they learned from the plecos? Thinking that maybe the case I paired the new guys with elders so they can learn. They are not difficult to take care of.

One of my techniques for buying Otos is not to buy them when they first come into the shop. I wait a few months later and then pick them up. (well Ive only done this twice and seems like a good idea to me).

Something I've noticed is that they do not eat that much algae (but have read in these forums that they eat an invisible film that grows on the glass?) But I guess everyones milage may differ.

As far as something to eat leftover food, decaying plants, and 'ふん’. I highly recommend Yamato numa shrimps. They last forever too. I think have 10 in one tank and 5 in another. I have one abeni puffer and those shrimps are essential for getting the bloodworms that the little guy misses.

I never gravel vac. I only change out the water. I asked Amano's guys if they gravel vac and they said, "No, we only siphon out the water". But these are for really heavily planted tanks where you can't get to the soil anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store