Frontosa

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Well 3 ppl is a poor cross section for sure. I'm not the kind of person that needs approval from the web to stock a tank. I have seen a successful mix of mbuna and fronts. I just wanted to know if anybody in this forum had tried the mix. As in the quote they will be fine in a 75 gal. tank for quite a while. The growth rate is slow.
Don't get yourself all worked up in a tizzy. Just was curious.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
To me, it seemed like you wanted to keep four in a 75g for their lifespan. Maybe I just misread that...yes, they could live that way for a while, but you would definitely need to upgrade as a tank with that dimensions is just not acceptable for four fish of their adult size.

I didn't mean to come off as rude, but I just really don't recommend mixing Fronts with such boisterous, aggressive fish like Mbuna. You may have seen a mix "work" but I'd definitely make sure you have all the facts about that setup before coming to the conclusion that it actually can work...also keep in mind that there are exceptions. Fish can have individual personalities and with cichlids you see changes in behavior as they mature. You may not end up so lucky with the mix, which is why most people just say not to risk it at all. If you do, I would HIGHLY recommend having a back up plan for moving out the Fronts to another tank.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
To me, it seemed like you wanted to keep four in a 75g for their lifespan. Maybe I just misread that...yes, they could live that way for a while, but you would definitely need to upgrade as a tank with that dimensions is just not acceptable for four fish of their adult size.

I didn't mean to come off as rude, but I just really don't recommend mixing Fronts with such boisterous, aggressive fish like Mbuna. You may have seen a mix "work" but I'd definitely make sure you have all the facts about that setup before coming to the conclusion that it actually can work...also keep in mind that there are exceptions. Fish can have individual personalities and with cichlids you see changes in behavior as they mature. You may not end up so lucky with the mix, which is why most people just say not to risk it at all. If you do, I would HIGHLY recommend having a back up plan for moving out the Fronts to another tank.
Your first post was just what I was looking for. An opinion. Your second.....I get that allot. As for 4 mature Fronts in a 75? I think bio load wise it's not allot. Size wise yes. I would'nt want to see them cramped up. I see in LFS's single oscars and I mean huge oscars in small tanks and it's sad. Eventualy I will be getting a 125 and will do a species tank in that. So uncrimp your panties and let's get along.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LOL whats panties got to do with fish, for real though if you don't want the opinions of others do not ask the questions, don't come off half cocked when you get those opinions, take it for what it is worth, but yeah i did keep 3 2" Front's in a 55gal when i was a lot younger and just getting into Tang's that was well over 15 yrs ago and i had typical Mbuna in the tank with them, the Mbuna tore into the Front's killing two of them and i had to euthanize the third because they tore into his tail fin and into the flesh where it would not have regenerated and the fish was suffering, then later down the hobby path i had 5 Front's in a 120gal 5' footprint mixed with other Tang's, I had them for 5 yrs eventually selling them to someone else who had a larger setup..

You are right in the sense they do grow slow as with most Tang's and if you acquire small Juveniles they should be fine in a 40 breeder for a little while but i would not add Mbuna in that 40 because the Mbuna will grow faster and will cause problems, if down the road you obtain a 125gal and your Fronts are of size like 9" I would say a group of Yellow Labs would be fine if that's your cup of tea..

Have fun and enjoy the hobby..

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Pittbull I never do anything half way. As for opinions...I really asked if anyone had tried the mix. I'll put you down as the one that did. I'd like to thank the 3 of you for responding. :cool:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
No problem have fun..
...Yeah, we should have fun and don't let things get too rough. And don't forget to uncrimp your panties; we have to look neat for our ladies when they arrive home!!! :evil_lol:

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
...Yeah, we should have fun and don't let things get too rough. And don't forget to uncrimp your panties; we have to look neat for our ladies when they arrive home!!! :evil_lol:
Just gave your 55 a look. Nice tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store