Fry Release and Stream Sampling Photo Shoot (Warning: Photo Heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Reminds me of being a kid and slogging through streams and swamps and vernal pools. i absolutely love the hidden life in these places. My favorite was always the freshwater isopods and other crustaceans.

Kristina

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Great looking photos. You have to tell me what camera you were using and was there a big macro lens?
I love my camera, and I did a TON of research before I got it. It is a Panasonic DMC-FZ20. It was 400$ new a couple of years ago. It comes with a special macro setting, which I used for this photo. It also has 12x optical zoom, and can be used manual or automatic. I would definitely recommend it.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Nice pics, reminds me that Msjinkzd and I need to plan a river exploration trip! I think we're going to check out the local streams for snail life.

mdwalt1

AC Members
Jan 11, 2003
Texas Gulf Coast
Visit site
Those kind of sampling trips are always rewarding. I've got a couple of questions.
What did you do with Fry during his two weeks of captivity? Did he live alone in your bucket? If so, did you do any water changes? Did he share an aquarium? Did you feed him? Just curious to know what he experienced in that two week period.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Those kind of sampling trips are always rewarding. I've got a couple of questions.
What did you do with Fry during his two weeks of captivity? Did he live alone in your bucket? If so, did you do any water changes? Did he share an aquarium? Did you feed him? Just curious to know what he experienced in that two week period.
Fry stayed in the bucket during the whole 2 weeks. For most of the period, he got daily 50% water changes. I was gone for 4 days during this time, and due to some miscommunications, he received no care during this time, but still grew and seemed fine. There were no other visible organisms in the bucket, but there were probably some microscopic organisms, since there was always some river water in the bucket. I think when he was really small, he was feeding on little critters like daphnia and other plankton. I had a little freebie pack of tropical fish food, which I fed him at first, reaaaaaly finely ground between my fingers. After that, I got some goldfish pellets, which I figured would be closer to his wild diet since he was a coldwater fry. I ground a couple of pellets between 2 spoons and sprinkled the powder in for him. Once he was slightly bigger, I could see him swallow tiny bits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store