Fuge ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Well thats why I was saying what do you want to use the fuge for.. I personally like the idea of using then to hide all that miscellaneous hardware personally.. Now that I have a tank with one I don't see all of those "unsightly" pieces of equipment in my tank or hanging off the back. If I could figure out how to "hide" the powerheads and everything else I'd go that route as well.

So yeah you can get a HOB if you want but again its going to be what you want to do. I personally have never really looked at those skimmers and I have an ASM G3, but if I ever have to replace it I'll probably get an octopus recirc 110 (thats the one I've been looking at). There seems to be quite a few people that I have chatted with that recommend them as the biggest bang for the buck.. But I would get others suggestions as well. If you want to look at what they have to offer here is their website.

http://www.octopusskimmer.com/
Thank you!!!
I read about this brand...what about something like this???
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I forgot to add, yeah...I like the idea of the one in the fuge!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I don't have any experience with the Aqua C, but I have seen it recommended on this board quite a bit.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
The sump or fuge as your calling it can have as few as two chambers or many many more as you saw on melev's site. Mine is a three compartment that works really well for my 75 gal tank. I have one section where I place my skimmer and it is where my overflow drains into, so any "junk" is filtered immediately. This section drains into the center section which is the return section of the tank and where I keep my heaters and the return pump. The right most side is the refugium area where I have live sand, live rock, and my mangrove trees (used to have cheato algae but my mangroves take up the nutrient faster and have actually killed off my cheato). You also need to look at lighting for this area if you plan on having macro algae because they like all plants need light. There was a thread earlier in one of the salty forums where a user was asking these questions. I posted a link to melev's site that talks about this.

But what you ultimately use your sump for is going to boil down to the room you have and what you want to do with it. But remember that your not only going to need horizontal room, but vertical room for things like the skimmer as well. That and to get all of your plumbing in there. :D

hth
Mark

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
The sump or fuge as your calling it can have as few as two chambers or many many more as you saw on melev's site. Mine is a three compartment that works really well for my 75 gal tank. I have one section where I place my skimmer and it is where my overflow drains into, so any "junk" is filtered immediately. This section drains into the center section which is the return section of the tank and where I keep my heaters and the return pump. The right most side is the refugium area where I have live sand, live rock, and my mangrove trees (used to have cheato algae but my mangroves take up the nutrient faster and have actually killed off my cheato). You also need to look at lighting for this area if you plan on having macro algae because they like all plants need light. There was a thread earlier in one of the salty forums where a user was asking these questions. I posted a link to melev's site that talks about this.

But what you ultimately use your sump for is going to boil down to the room you have and what you want to do with it. But remember that your not only going to need horizontal room, but vertical room for things like the skimmer as well. That and to get all of your plumbing in there. :D

hth
Mark
AHHH!! You do realize, when I get going on this I am going to be here needing step by step, what do I do stuff...right:grinyes:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well since I didn't build my own, and my previus tank owner bought Melev's type F sump I don't know how much help I will be, but I"m good with DIY stuff and plumbed my own etc.. So yeah.. I would give you my number but.. well you know who would have a holy cow if a strange female was calling the house. ;)

And the double meaning is also included ::flee:: ;)

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Well since I didn't build my own, and my previus tank owner bought Melev's type F sump I don't know how much help I will be, but I"m good with DIY stuff and plumbed my own etc.. So yeah.. I would give you my number but.. well you know who would have a holy cow if a strange female was calling the house. ;)

And the double meaning is also included ::flee:: ;)
:laugh::laugh::silly:

Yeah, I'm thinkin the personal phone call would not go over well on either end!!LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store