Fund Raiser Ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zacdl

AC Members
Aug 14, 2005
Oklahoma
www.zactrades.com
Well as most of you DONT know, I am involved in the Boy Scouts of America.

The troop I am with is going to MN (Just 6 miles short of the Canadian Border) to go canoeing at a canoeing base there.

Now we have some problems. It costs about $500 per person to go up there, and the guy that figured it up allowed $250 per person for transportation.

Because of BSA regulations adults cannot drive more than 10 hours straight at one time.

They were thinking of renting a charter bus, and not having to drive all the way up there, or spend the night (About a 13 hour trip).

Now, the bus they looked into was going to cost $8,000.

Obviously $250 a person (There are 24 going) wont cover that.

Now, I was thinking you could fly. Round trip I was thinking somewhere around $250 per person, so that knocks out that cost. You would just have to add about $3,000 (My guess) to rent a couple full size vans (A full size fits 15 I think) to drive from the airport to the little town.

So my question is basically this:
Do you have any cheaper ideas how to get up there? Without causing more stress having to drive long hours?
Do you have any ideas on fundraisers, to both help the $750 per person cost, and to pay for the method of transportation we would take? So far some suggestions were a Pancake supper, Selling popcorn (Yea that famous BSA popcorn), some sort of supper (Spaghetti maybe?), Car Washes.

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
all of the fundraising ideas you mentioned sound good. You could also try a garage sale. My lil sis did that to raise money for a missions trip. You may have to do all of those things to raise enough money. I heard about one fundraiser where you put pink plastic flamingos in people's yards and they have to pay you to remove them...

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
oh, for the garage sale obviously it helps if you have friends and family that will donate old stuff for you to sell and as for the flamingos, I think it's a riot but some people may not have a great sense of humor.

zacdl

AC Members
Aug 14, 2005
Oklahoma
www.zactrades.com
"Its called walking. Most people have feet"

There are kids going along as well :) I think right now there are 6 adults and 12 kids signed up to go so far. They have school during the day, really the only thing that could be done is on weekends (Like Car washes and ideas like that)

zacdl

AC Members
Aug 14, 2005
Oklahoma
www.zactrades.com
LOL, I doubt most of them are fish-freaks like we here are........

We thought (As a joke of cource) A lottery to win a FREE trip to Ely, MN (Because the bus holds 50 people, and we would have 24, we would have plenty of extra room)

tyella

My heaven has a beer volcano - FSM
Feb 18, 2005
Columbia, Missouri
Zac,
I just got back from a Boundary Waters trip a couple of weeks ago. I hope you can muster the cash, because the kids will LOVE it! There were almost no mosquitos when I was there. I got more bites at the drive-in here in old Missouri in one night than I did the whole week I was there.

On topic, Ebay is great, but a bit slow. One week for auctions and a week or ten days to get payment. THEN you can ship.
I guess you could be talking about going on the trip next year though....?

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
zacdl said:
Well as most of you DONT know, I am involved in the Boy Scouts of America.

The troop I am with is going to MN (Just 6 miles short of the Canadian Border) to go canoeing at a canoeing base there.

Now we have some problems. It costs about $500 per person to go up there, and the guy that figured it up allowed $250 per person for transportation.

Because of BSA regulations adults cannot drive more than 10 hours straight at one time.

They were thinking of renting a charter bus, and not having to drive all the way up there, or spend the night (About a 13 hour trip).

Now, the bus they looked into was going to cost $8,000.

Obviously $250 a person (There are 24 going) wont cover that.

Now, I was thinking you could fly. Round trip I was thinking somewhere around $250 per person, so that knocks out that cost. You would just have to add about $3,000 (My guess) to rent a couple full size vans (A full size fits 15 I think) to drive from the airport to the little town.

So my question is basically this:
Do you have any cheaper ideas how to get up there? Without causing more stress having to drive long hours?
Do you have any ideas on fundraisers, to both help the $750 per person cost, and to pay for the method of transportation we would take? So far some suggestions were a Pancake supper, Selling popcorn (Yea that famous BSA popcorn), some sort of supper (Spaghetti maybe?), Car Washes.
Have you forgotten bottle drives? :D Seriously, you could look into some of the programs that the local schools do. One that I've heard suggested is to sell grocery store gift certificates. Not sure if they still work it this way, but Safeway used to offer bulk gift certificates at reduced rates for fundraising groups (like schools). The groups then sold them for face value, and kept the difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store