Fx5 producing bubbles.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Willard2.0

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Real Name
Dwayne
I wouldn't toss it yet, how is your filter media packed? What media are you using? If it's packed really dense in the middle baskets, the water won't be able to flow properly. If the media gets clogged, or is to dense, the pump is strong enough to pull a vacuum on the water. This will pull the dissolved oxygen out of the water and blow it out as microbubbles.

I suggest taking out any filter floss or polishing pads you have in it and see if that changes anything. Also, try lubing the main gasket with petroleum jelly, it could be sucking air in there.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I wouldn't toss it yet, how is your filter media packed? What media are you using? If it's packed really dense in the middle baskets, the water won't be able to flow properly. If the media gets clogged, or is to dense, the pump is strong enough to pull a vacuum on the water. This will pull the dissolved oxygen out of the water and blow it out as microbubbles.

I suggest taking out any filter floss or polishing pads you have in it and see if that changes anything. Also, try lubing the main gasket with petroleum jelly, it could be sucking air in there.
I have removed almost all media. I am down to a handful of matrix bio media in each tray and I have lubed every gasket each cleaning. No floss no pads.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, at this point I think it might be a basic problem might be experiencing since you've got the same issue on multiple filters. I think you have air pocket(s) in your canister even after you primed it.

If you unplug and plug it back in after say 10 seconds, do larger air bubbles come out of the outlet?
If so, you have air pockets. I would repeatedly do this until no air bubbles come out at start up.

It might be that your tank is sort of super saturated with O2 and it's building up in the canister. Maybe turn off the air stone for a while and the filter too after the above procedure (couple hours?). Then just turn on the filter and see.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Well, at this point I think it might be a basic problem might be experiencing since you've got the same issue on multiple filters. I think you have air pocket(s) in your canister even after you primed it.

If you unplug and plug it back in after say 10 seconds, do larger air bubbles come out of the outlet?
If so, you have air pockets. I would repeatedly do this until no air bubbles come out at start up.

It might be that your tank is sort of super saturated with O2 and it's building up in the canister. Maybe turn off the air stone for a while and the filter too after the above procedure (couple hours?). Then just turn on the filter and see.
I did start the thread to get feedback so I tried your recommendation with the purg. My usual procedure after cleaning the filter; put the filter in place, fill the canister up with water, attach the lid, I have a spare hose I attach to the return to bleed the lines before attaching the actual return, let it sit for at least 20 min, attach the return, open the valves, let sit for another 20 min, plug in the filter, un plug the filter, repeat five or six times, then the filter does its auto purg.
After your recommendation I did my standard process but instead of bleeding the lines from the return I used the drain valve. I opened both intake and return with the drain valve open until I got a consistent pressure then shut off the drain and proceeded.

I'll give it a day or two to see how it works out. Such a tedious process for a filter. I just hope I held my lips right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Glad we may have a possible solution!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
With the "acclaimed auto purge" that shouldn't be required.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well, look on the bright side, when the auto purge fails to close, the water damage can't be too bad...:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store