FYI - Knight Gobies eat Neons.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
glad i'm not the only one who has issues with vacation.

last vacation i was on was a week long and when i got back, the fish were healthy but the puffer's demeanor had changed drastically. and neither my fish feeder or my puffer are talking about it. I guess i will never know. have a family reunion in june or july- 1300 miles away, and i'm not excited about that either.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
How did their demeanor change? I'm going on vacation soon too. Did someone else care for them?

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
the week i got back from vacation the fahaka stopped coming to the surface for food. no more belly rubs, and he wouldnt eat nightcrawlers anymore. he just seemed like a different fish. i know he's the same fish. the feeder person couldnt have killed it and replaced it with one like it. she was a little bit afraid of it, she didnt like handling the mealworms even, so i'm pretty sure she didnt jam her hand in and harrass him. i just dont know why he changed his routine.

i wouldnt panic if i were you, filbert will be fine. i'd watch the fish sitter go thru the feeding routine from a distance just to see if the puffers give that person the same behaviors they give you.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I know that all my fish will be very mad at me when I get back. My saltwater fish hate it when I leave. My Lunare Wrasses especially hate me. When I come back home on Saturday they will probably completly ignore me when they normally pace the front of the glass hoping I will give them something. They will probably ignore me until I feed them though! They are such little suckers for food! My 3ft Zebra Moray Eel will probably also be very happy to see me. The lady we have taking care of our tanks knows a bit about the hobby and about saltwater tanks but hates eels and snakes. She was dreading feeding him even after I told her it is only on a stick. Just put a scallop on the stick and put it near his nose. Oh well, I totally miss everyone at home. I had a nightmare about my big tank the other night. I know I know I'm obsessed! This is one of the few things I enjoy doing and this keeps me extremely busy. My only hobbies are my fish, my horses, and my boyfriend (not exactly in that order!) If you have only a few tanks they should be fine while you go away, but I had 11 different set ups I had to get ready, and I do feel bad for the lady watching them.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Houston, we have a problem.

(enhanced the pic to bring out the red line)

All of a sudden, this one seems to spend most of his time with his mouth agape. Not gasping for air, just mostly open. He didn't eat much for a day and was really lethargic and turned the darker gray color you folks described earlier. Now, his apetite and energy are returning, as is the color, but the red line (looks like some sort of blood vessell) in the belly is beyond me. It looks like some sort of physical trauma, but I hadn't been in the tank for days.

BTW, no cheating and saying it's because they are in FW when that's not really the cause :p

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Could be septicemia, which is bacterial in nature and caused do to poor water (and I'm not making that up). But the pic makes it look more like it's just an organ outline, due to it's straightness. Definantly keep an eye on it though.

eriangg

Registered Member
Mar 3, 2014
Just curious Joe, I know it has been 10+ years since the last active post to this thread, but what happened to the knight gobies? I just picked up one myself and was curious as to how they do in a FW tank. Some sites are saying that they can do quite well if the water is hard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store