General aquarium question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Bigger is always better.
Oh no you didn't....:grinno: (I'm out)

To the OP, I'd hold off a few days if you've got a Petco near you. They will be having their $1/gal sale for tanks up to 55g. You could get a brand-new 37g for $37. I've never had a 37, but have had 20L's and 29's which are the exact footprint. They just vary in height. Stands, lids, lights, etc intended for a 20 long will typically accommodate a 29 and 37. IMO, 20L/29/37 are ideal tanks, especially for beginners. Decent water volume. Better stocking options, etc.

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Oh no you didn't....:grinno: (I'm out)

To the OP, I'd hold off a few days if you've got a Petco near you. They will be having their $1/gal sale for tanks up to 55g. You could get a brand-new 37g for $37. I've never had a 37, but have had 20L's and 29's which are the exact footprint. They just vary in height. Stands, lids, lights, etc intended for a 20 long will typically accommodate a 29 and 37. IMO, 20L/29/37 are ideal tanks, especially for beginners. Decent water volume. Better stocking options, etc.
Thanks, I had heard the $1/g sales was starting tomorrow so I thought I'd ask. From what I've heard tho, the 37g isn't usually in the sale, so I might go with the 29g. Bigger footprint than my 20g and no lighting issues for the live plants.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
If you're planning live plants, the 37 will prove more difficult to light appropriately.

You may also find that the small footprint:volume ratio limits your fish choices a little more (I know the footprint is the same...)
It does look like he already has live plants in the 37 and they appear healthy. Does the seller have upgraded lighting? If so I'd certainly be scooping that up for $65 - you might even be able to talk him down a bit.

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
It does look like he already has live plants in the 37 and they appear healthy. Does the seller have upgraded lighting? If so I'd certainly be scooping that up for $65 - you might even be able to talk him down a bit.
Not sure if the light was upgraded. I'm having more difficulty getting over the mirrored back... not sure it's something I would care for, regardless of price

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks, I had heard the $1/g sales was starting tomorrow so I thought I'd ask. From what I've heard tho, the 37g isn't usually in the sale, so I might go with the 29g. Bigger footprint than my 20g and no lighting issues for the live plants.
Yeah, it depends on the store. Some stock and include 37s in the sale, some don't. Same with 40g breeders. Like you say, a 29 is a happy medium anyway. Go with that, if that's what they have.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store