German Blue Ram problem!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robin Alv

Robin
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
I am doing water changes twice weekly now due to high nitrites in my tank (probably killing my blue). There is a good product on the market now to break in the tank immediately (by Marineland -forget the name) and I am going to invest the money today to help. I put in some water from an established tank but don't want to add too much since the ph is much higher. We'll see how the other blue does.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I am doing water changes twice weekly now due to high nitrites in my tank (probably killing my blue). There is a good product on the market now to break in the tank immediately (by Marineland -forget the name) and I am going to invest the money today to help. I put in some water from an established tank but don't want to add too much since the ph is much higher. We'll see how the other blue does.
The established water wont help. Bio-Spira may if it's a good batch and has been kept refridgerated. I would never try to keep a ram in an uncycled tank.

Last edited:

Robin Alv

Robin
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
You're right - I didn't know that. I have one left who is now flourishing. I am doing very frequent hanges and adding bio spira. I'm keeping my nitrites down to .25 - Can't get it lower yet but the one ram is doing well. The ammonia is 0 and the ph is approx. 6.2 In a few more months I want to set up a heavily planted 55 gal. with fish and I will certainly wait for the cycling before adding any blue rams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store