Gettin T-5 Actic today!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
www.skijor.bravepages.com
Wahoo,
I am getting my actinics today! The new LFS carries them and I have a trade account=)
I cant decide between 2 or 4 4ft bulbs. I think I am going to go with 2 then if its not enough get the other two. What do youall think? Should I just go with the 4 right off the bat? how bright are these things anywho?
t

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
You sure there T5s?

The actinic bulbs and the 2ft versions of the 6500K bulbs arent being sold yet.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I thought about that same thing and was assuming that it was a t-8 bulb. I dont think they even manufacture a t-5 in a 4' length do they?

Edit:
Hey Slip. I just read the post over and the question is to go with 2 or 4, 4ft bulbs, not 2ft bulbs. OOPS.

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
The actinic 46.5" bulbs are just reaching the US now...

I get them before they are avaliable to sell to the general public and mine are still in transit.

I have no personal experience with how bright the actinic bulbs are (yet) but according to the specs, they each 54 watt T5 should be about as bright as a T12 110 watt VHO bulb.

Id say at least 4 bulbs to make any sort of color difference with those iwasaki MH bulbs.

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
hey all,
there are the 4' t-5s.
The guy at this lfs has some sort of hookup and is getting his off of the first shipment for them to the us. they are the actinics. Apparently they were stuck in customs for a while held up but they got there this morn!
so 2 or 4?
t

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i say 4.

I should be getting my actinic and 50/50 bulbs any day now, very exciting.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Cool, something I didnt know :D

What ballast do the t-5's require in a 4 foot length? I have to check these guys out. I would agree with Slip on using 4 bulbs for your set up.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Both the icecap and fulham ballasts will run them.

the 46.5" bulbs are 54 watts, and the 60" (im not sure if there exactly 60) are 80 watts. There are also smaller bulbs, but I have no idea where to get them.

There are 6500K bulbs made by starcoat that are selling now. The actinic and 50/50 bulbs are coming from Europe and should be selling anyday now.

The waterproof endcaps are currently getting UL tested and should be out within a month or two.

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
thare is also an advance ballast that I have in my hot little hands with the bulbs right now!
icn-2s54
cant wait to fire these up!
t

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store