Getting a fire eel...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

linkinpark

AC Members
Mar 10, 2009
guys. search fire eels in youtube. There is a video with a little girl feeding two large fire eels in a large tank. The owner is on MFK's page and he states that the eels started to fight a bit but when he removed their hiding place, everything was ok.
So what's the problem?I have also 2 black ghosts in the same tank and they all get along with no bites e.t.c as for the ghosts when i seeked advise in this site thay told me that it was the worst thing to do to put 2 in the same tank. It's all bull they are the most peasefull fish ever with no problems so far and i already finished my 600 ltr tank so what's the problem with you guys?

Madding

A frog among toads.
Apr 12, 2009
New York
guys. search fire eels in youtube. There is a video with a little girl feeding two large fire eels in a large tank. The owner is on MFK's page and he states that the eels started to fight a bit but when he removed their hiding place, everything was ok.
So what's the problem?I have also 2 black ghosts in the same tank and they all get along with no bites e.t.c as for the ghosts when i seeked advise in this site thay told me that it was the worst thing to do to put 2 in the same tank. It's all bull they are the most peasefull fish ever with no problems so far and i already finished my 600 ltr tank so what's the problem with you guys?
You've not even had them for a week yet, and some of us have kept eels for years. Some guy removes his eels hiding place to make them stop fighting, and you immediately think he is in the right? Eels need a place to go when they're not hunting. His probably stopped fighting because they are no longer in their natural element, and stressed out.

Don't be subjective to the advice given to you. Fifteen people told you that what you are doing is incorrect, and one person says it is fine, so you are going to listen to the one person? Whatever.

When your eels start fighting, are you going to make them stay out in the open all the time, too? :headshake2:

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
Congrats on the eels man. You definitely seem extremely proactive and willing to go the distance to take care of the fish. People get a little ridiculous sometimes, imo of course, about fish and think you're the devil if you don't listen to them.

I would say however that your 600l tank isn't going to be enough long term to house these guys. If I am correct, that translates to about 158-160 US gallons? The video you're talking about with the felows daughter feeding the 3 fire eels on MFK.. that tank is at least 300gallons.

Just be sure you're able to give them the care they need and you'll have some great looking fish as they grow older. In the end, even if you have to get rid of them, as long as they are going to a good home then who cares that you are rehoming the fish? This means that you got to raise a fish you love and enjoy and know it was well cared for during it's primary growth phase and now it's going to someone who enjoys the fish as a larger species and it's going to be cared for just as well.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
As is the case with most new fish keepers.. he posted trying to get assurance that it would work.. he wasn't looking for insight or recommendations. For the sake of the Fire Eels I hope everything works out great for you.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
As is the case with most new fish keepers.. he posted trying to get assurance that it would work.. he wasn't looking for insight or recommendations. For the sake of the Fire Eels I hope everything works out great for you.
+1

I've got plenty of things to say about this thread, but I don't believe much of it will be absorbed, so I'm just simply gonna go with the band wagon and say good luck. Please don't complain to any of those who have given sound advice once you encounter issues with your tank. You may never have problems, you might have problems soon. Its all a gamble when caring for wild creatures. (domesticated or not, they're all still reacting on instinct)

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
+1

I've got plenty of things to say about this thread, but I don't believe much of it will be absorbed, so I'm just simply gonna go with the band wagon and say good luck. Please don't complain to any of those who have given sound advice once you encounter issues with your tank. You may never have problems, you might have problems soon. Its all a gamble when caring for wild creatures. (domesticated or not, they're all still reacting on instinct)

Pretty much sums it up.

linkinpark

AC Members
Mar 10, 2009
Congrats on the eels man. You definitely seem extremely proactive and willing to go the distance to take care of the fish. People get a little ridiculous sometimes, imo of course, about fish and think you're the devil if you don't listen to them.

I would say however that your 600l tank isn't going to be enough long term to house these guys. If I am correct, that translates to about 158-160 US gallons? The video you're talking about with the felows daughter feeding the 3 fire eels on MFK.. that tank is at least 300gallons.

Just be sure you're able to give them the care they need and you'll have some great looking fish as they grow older. In the end, even if you have to get rid of them, as long as they are going to a good home then who cares that you are rehoming the fish? This means that you got to raise a fish you love and enjoy and know it was well cared for during it's primary growth phase and now it's going to someone who enjoys the fish as a larger species and it's going to be cared for just as well.
Nice to see that thereare reasonable people here. As for the restof you guys i'm not saying that you aren't giving good advice, it's just the way you react. For Christ's sake guys, i'm not a murderer or something, that eels would probably end up ina 10 gallon tank of a kid that did'tknow anything about them right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store