Getting a magnum canister filter running again.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
OK...I had this magnum canister filter there was a incident with it being put into a few inches of water, I haven't had it running for a long time due to safety reasons.
I asked on MFK and I got the idea I could try it again.
I got all the spare parts/ washers and am hoping I have time before I leave on vacation the day after tomorrow to get it running again/troubleshoot it. Any hints on troubleshooting the leaky part?.
It was a fairly slow leak I didn't notice in the two hours I was at my parents' house after I set it up.
I got all three kinds of rubber washers and new set of foam filter pads.
Clown plecos love the current this thing makes:dance:
I might add, I didn't tear it down because it was leaking, I took it down because the impeller was badly worn out.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you explain more? Was the motor housing submerged in water?

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
It was leaking and my father put it in a bucket so it stood in water for a few days until I went to my parent's house again. Like I said it was a slow leak since I didn't notice anything during the time I was setting it up..
Maybe I'll just get it going since I don't want a leak while I'm gone a week either.

brett_93_ex

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Currently feels like a furnace
Just make sure, if you are unsure, to have it plugged into a GFI circuit.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I would not set up a canister then leave on vacation no mater what kind it is, if the motor was submerged in water it's probably no good, if not set it up when you get back so you can monitor it for a few days, also are you referring to a mag 350 or a hot mag..........:)

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
Like Brett I like the GFI idea. Like Bishop said - need more information.
Where exactly is the leak?
Generally the Mags are pretty stout - there arent too many places where they can leak unless it's cracked. Maybe the top rubber seal has lost it's integrity? Has the o-ring on the up and down tubes failed?

I had a situation on mine where the top wouldnt close all the way because there was some binding going on inside. But when that happens the pump wont run. I took it apart, re-ailgned everything and it worked.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
I didn't end having time. As is I was up late before I left giving the featherfins a water change and checking on the heaters because of the heating problems that came up at my parent's house.

It's a magnum 350.
I have no clue where the leak is because when I saw it standing in water...I imediately freaked out and cut off power to the whole tank. Took apart the thing...put the motor next to the furnace to dry and then posted online and asked the company that makes them to see if was safe to use anymore.

Last edited:

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Run it in a pail of water out side and check for leaks.........:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store