Getting back into things: intro + betta feeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

karassius

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2016
USA
Real Name
Kara
This post is more as a brief intro than to seek any specific help, so I hope it's in the right place! I got really interested in fish about five years ago when I "rescued" a feeder goldfish that one of my (former) friends had won at a fair and planned to feed to his pet alligator. That little guy endured SO many beginner mistakes and eventually he and another very small fantail moved into a large tank in my room. They were quickly outgrowing it and would have been moved to a pond the following summer, but they very suddenly became ill and passed before I could help them. I miss them terribly, but I'm so grateful for what they taught me. It's now been more than two years since I've had a tank, and I've just set up my father's ten gallon!

After getting the tank all cycled and whatnot, I've finally got a fishy inhabitant and a few friends. I've got a lovely mustard gas crowntail betta, two zebra nerites, and a single ghost shrimp who'll be getting some buddies as soon as more arrive in store. The initial plan was to get a small group of pygmy cory cats, but they've proved IMPOSSIBLE to find now that I want them. It's probably for the best, however, because the betta is pretty darn feisty and I feel that he'd pick on other fish in his tank.

I've only had the fish since Saturday, but (knock on wood) things appear to be going well. The betta is eating soaked pellets and f/t brine shrimp like a pro; my biggest concern at the moment is trying not to overfeed him, since I'm used to gluttonous goldies. I feel like he's barely getting any food at all. He currently gets between 3-5 OmegaOne pellets per day. I like to alter it a bit and feed different amounts at different times/a little more some days than others, and of course feed fewer pellets if he gets brine shrimp that day. Any other betta owners have pointers? I'd love to get some opinions on feeding regimens!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Bettas are pigs, man. Feed them compost, if you want to haha. Mostly kidding. I literally fed my bettas a little bit of everyone's food, including bloodworms, multi pack frozen foods, vinegar eels, flake, pellet, just no bottom feeder foods obviously. I had to use a feeder ring after a while because my bettas were notoriously lazy. They got fed twice per day, and I always watched their bellies to make sure they didn't bloat or get any internal discomfort. Harder to keep control of one fish regarding feeding, haha.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
I also am concerned about overfeeding my Betta. I've read that you should let them eat all they want for a couple of minutes. If I did that, my Betta would explode. I feed him twice daily, alternating 4-5 Omega One mini-pellets with live (or frozen) brine shrimp (4-5) or live (or frozen) blood worms, depending on how often I can get live food from my LFS. He much prefers the live food and I really enjoy watching him chase the live brine shrimp. After feeding, he continues to search his tank for any shrimp that are hiding. He's a good hunter and always gets every one. I also let him "fast" for one day a week. He seems a bit upset on his "fasting" day, but seems very happy otherwise.

Regarding "cycling" of his planted tank, I test daily (API Master Test Kit) and enjoy the process very much. When I first got him, I did not know about cycling. I just set up the tank, planted a bunch of plants and have tested daily for about 6 weeks. Zero traces of NO3, NO2 and NH3/4. I suspect my many plants are keeping the readings at zero, plus 25% weekly water changes.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Wishing you happy fish!
Randy/Folsom, CA

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Bettas will happily overeat if you let them. I feed mine Omega One betta pellets as their staple food, but they get thawed frozen foods on a regular basis too. I try to underfeed so they don't get bloated or fat. I feed 5-7 pellets every other day, supplementing with thawed frozen.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi Kannan Fodder,
Thank you for your post. So, are you feeding your Betta every other day, alternating between 5-7 pellets and thawed frozen so that your Betta has every other day without feeding?

Also, how long does your thawed frozen food last in the frig? With only one Betta to feed, when I thaw the cubes of frozen shrimp and worms, I use only a small portion (2-3 days) then have to throw out the remainder and thaw out another little cube.

What temp do you keep your Betta tank? I've tried 80, but the algae grows really fast. I reduced the temp to 78 now with 10 hours of "lights on" in Moby's planted tank. He shared his home with 3 RCS, 2 Nerites and half a dozen pond snails that must have ridden in with a recent moss ball addition.

Great sharing info with you! Got to go, time for Moby2's weekly tank cleaning and water change.

Randy/Folsom, CA

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have other tanks, so when I thaw food, I use it all. I don't feed pellets when I feed thawed, so I alternate between foods. My tanks stay around 80 because I have my thermostat set at 78. I don't use heaters at the moment.

I have found that with the frozen cubes, you can swirl them around in a cup of water and thaw a little at a time, then put the rest back in the freezer.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Thank you. Very helpful...using all the thawed food and refreezing will help me use the frozen food more and save $$$.
Randy/Folsom, CA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store