Getting back to the hobby after years hiatus need ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Have a semi-stable place to live now but am limited to things that does not need electricity. Only have one nano tank 5.5g running on 4 watt ZooMed TCN 30 canister filter.

My first vase I set up was for the oape ulas as I figured the cat would be entertained. Nope they're too pale and when I had them years ago they were so dark red it was cool but too tiny. This batch i got is too white and washed out. That was over a year ago. Fast foward got a jar with lid due to one of the cats liking to swim in water literally planted java ferns and got a dumbo halfmoon betta few weeks ago. Awesome setup. One cat loves it and I am getting a certain strain of guppies in for the 5.5 gallon tank so she can be entertained with the set up. Its already full cycled. This is my first go with guppies in over 25 years of fish keeping.

I have a nerite snail in there but need either a shrimp variety that can handle the 65 room temp that wont target the guppies and be the clean up crew. Any ideas? I am open to nano catfish. I have 15 small fw clams in the 5.5g tank been doing well so far

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Btw I have FW clams in the vase betta setup and the 5.5 nano tank for extra filteration

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Cherry shrimp ( or any of the hardier color morphs) would do well at the lower temps. The shrimplets might be targeted by the guppies, but provided with some plant cover be fine. Most shrimp actually prefer cooler waters. When I moved, the tank was the last thing to go, and the apartment lost heat. Heater blew out, tank dropped to about 45. I lost most of the fish, but the cherry shrimp were all fine.

Reactions: MotionInSilver

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Working on getting spiderwood, and moss then will get the shrimp. The guppies came in today and they're only 5-6 weeks old

adam0702

AC Members
Nov 21, 2016
Btw I have FW clams in the vase betta setup and the 5.5 nano tank for extra filteration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store