getting driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SMagin123

AC Members
May 8, 2005
how do you get large piece of driftwood like 2 1/2 ft. long to sink. i dont have anyh buig pots to boil it in

randalizm

HxC
Apr 14, 2005
orange county, CA
if its to big to boil, see if it will fit in your oven. if it does, cook it full blast for an hour or two to kill all the parasites that may be on it and then keep it submerged under water in a big bucket or something. you can keep it down with rocks. change the water every day and jus keep doing that until it stays down on its own.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
i had some very large peices that i actually brought from the beach ...i cured them by laying them in direct sun drying thm completly out and then putting them in large trash cans lined with bags and then rinseing and repeating ....till they finally sunk....

Civicman86

AC Members
Jan 31, 2005
sivic said:
Mine was too big for anything so i put it in a bathtub for a few weeks and changed it with hot water every day.

I was lucky enough to have another shower to use while it was occupying the bathtub :)
LOL how do you explaing that to guests that see that. I can her it now "Ummm there is a big piece of wood in your bathtub"

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
Civicman86 said:
LOL how do you explaing that to guests that see that. I can her it now "Ummm there is a big piece of wood in your bathtub"

Yeah, he's taking one REALLY long bath, but he promised to clean up the tub when he was done... LOL

Some people will attach the wood to a slab of slate to help it sink, using aquarium sillicone.

EMily

Bobafish

Star Wars Freak
Mar 6, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
www.freewebs.com
Where do you guys get your driftwood? I have trouble finding it at stores, and at the beaches i go to i dont think people can just take it, so how do you guys find it/buy it? :help:

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
I'm going to a local ****/waterway on the fourth to gather driftwood. If your beach is a state park/wildlife preserve type place, you likely can't take the wood. If its a regular public beach, I bet its fine. I"ve also found some good driftwood on ebay, usually just from people who go collect it from the beach or river... (or swamp)

Emily

luvmyfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
I have heard the best process in curing wood Is soaking it in bleach water for 24 hours and then letting it cook in the sun for about a week, then soaking and rinsing it until it sinks...anyone know if all that is necessary...or if the baking it is as reliable in removing parasites? And hey...just in case this is what i decide to do...what temperate should it be 'cooked' at?
I'd like to see you explaining that one to your guests! They might think you were on some weird new age diet! :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store