getting my fish room next week!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I think the point is...you can't do this by yourself. You need to have someone helping you, who knows what they're doing. Do you have someone like that in your life? Someone who understands about weight bearing walls, floor joists and all that? If not, you might be wise to postpone this or scale it back somewhat. Have you even looked into what it would cost to build stands for all these tanks? Lumber is expensive. Even a cheap DIY stand costs considerable money.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
not going to set them all up, maybe about 8 to 10 total through out the apt. three 55s ( two in my room, one in the living room by my other one ) two 40B two 30s few 20s as fry tanks.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
You obviously are the expert here.

I can almost guarantee that your landlord is not cool with 8 tanks. I imagine you said something like "can I have a fish tank?", and she said yes, thinking you meant 1 or 2 smaller 10 - 55g tanks. If you said actually said "can I set up 2 55 gallon and 1 75 gallon tank in this apartment?", and she said yes, then I commend you and your gracious landlord. But I doubt that was the case.

So go ahead with your grand plans for a fish room in an apartment. I'll be eager to see it come to fruition.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Gotta go with thrak here. Does your land lord understand that a 55g tank is 440lbs of water alone? So even with the reduced number of tanks it is almost 3,000lbs of WATER alone. (assuming you have 3 20g tanks). So add the substrate, decor, equipment, and so on. My 29g tank alone, just the tank is about 30lbs. I am guessing some of your tanks will be glass, and some will be acrylic.

You need to explain this weight to your land lord. Most people dont even think about the weight when they think of fish tanks. Heck, even I didnt think of the weight of my 29 until I got around to needing a stand for it. Another thing to consider is noise. There is no way you will get all of those tanks to be quiet. Each one needs its own little adjustments and need to be topped off even if it isnt time for a water change. You also have to think about smell. I know that some tanks grow algae and stuff and it will begin to smell like a lake. I dont know how hard it is to get rid of that smell, but it wouldnt be enjoyable when it is time to get rid of it.

She will also need to think about the electricity required to run it all. Sure the filters dont need much, in fact most are less than a light bulb. But you have to add up all of the heaters, filters, lighting, air pumps, and so on. You will want high quality outlets that are properly grounded, and you should probably add a separate breaker for the room. Some electricians will charge a lot to install just one outlet. Right now I have all of my computer stuff in my closet running off of extension chords from various outlets around the room to attempt to distribute the power. But when I build a custom pc, it will pull a lot of power. I have to be thinking about that. I will probably pay my grandfather (an electrician) to add quality outlets that are properly grounded to my closet. I will also have to mess with getting a permit for him to do that and then have to have an inspector come and check it out before I use it. Wiring isnt cheap, people steal copper wiring from houses and sell it for scrap. I have rolls of wire in my garage worth a lot of $.

Cost like that can make or break a fish room. Your land lord will probably not agree to it all. That also means that she should have it in the lease agreement and something about a week or 30 days bla bla bla. She probably wont agree to any of it. She may just laugh at you. She may not like the tanks that you have set up right now.

I dont want to be the nagging king, but you really have to look at it from all angles. In order to make that room safe for a fish room, you are looking to spend WAY more than you are on the tanks.

If you and your grandfather get along and he has a basement that you can set up a fish room up in, then go for that. Otherwise, I would pass and just keep the tanks you have while you still can.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
You obviously are the expert here.

I can almost guarantee that your landlord is not cool with 8 tanks. I imagine you said something like "can I have a fish tank?", and she said yes, thinking you meant 1 or 2 smaller 10 - 55g tanks. If you said actually said "can I set up 2 55 gallon and 1 75 gallon tank in this apartment?", and she said yes, then I commend you and your gracious landlord. But I doubt that was the case.

So go ahead with your grand plans for a fish room in an apartment. I'll be eager to see it come to fruition.
lol my landlord encouraged my fish tanks. said as long as i payed for water damage it was fine have as many as i like. i think it honestly depends on the landlord. i have the coolest apartment manager tho so i might be lucky XD

edit : i also have premium renters insurance so that helps too

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
same with ssuchem13 on this one :)
Thats your call, but if something happens dont say we didnt warn you.

Water damage, floor breaking, electrical issues, electrical fire, and so on. That floor is not ready for a fish room, and the electrical probably isnt either.

Check with your neighbors as well.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
same with ssuchem13 on this one :)
You can't be "same with ssuchem13" when what he says is entirely different to what you described the conversation between your landlord as being. It seems as though you are just dismissing what the people here are saying. Listen to nerdyrcdriver, he raises some very good points which you need to sit down and think about before you even consider clearing out that room.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I have a feeling that youre rushing into this without considering all of the possible outcomes. As a carpenter who has worked in plenty of apartments and seen first hand the quality that goes into them, i personally wouldnt trust that floor to hold that much weight. Its your call in the end though, so all i can do is wish you good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store